cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

University of Michigan Rewards American Express Card from Bank of America

tag
Established Member

University of Michigan Rewards American Express Card from Bank of America

Question for the board, my alumni association credit card is a Bank of America American Express card.  I just paid off my old Bank of America (formerly MBNA) Alumni Association Visa card that was closed by Bank of America a few years ago but I have made on-time payments for over a year and finally have paid the balance off completely.  That is the oldest account on my credit report as I got it back in 1999 in my freshman year of college. 

I am wondering if this would be a good way to get in with American Express?  I won't be ready to apply for another 6 months or so (need to keep my score growing).  Who would be running the credit check?  Bank of America or American Express?  I was declined for Amex Gold charge card a month ago (pulled the trigger way too early on that one).  I have one charge off on my report from 2008, no collections, and some late payments on two car leases all over a year and a half ago.  Does anyone have a similar Bank of America American Express?  The card has no annual fee and does accumulate Amex rewards.  Here is a link to the site https://www.bankofamerica.com/myexpression_banking/productInfo.do?affinity=11991&segmentid=ALUM , scroll down as the first card shown is a debit card.

Thanks!

Starting Score: EQ: 573 1-27-11
Current Score: TU: 622 EQ:631 EX: 637 (PSECU) 10-18-11
Goal Score: TU: 750 EQ 700 EX: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: University of Michigan Rewards American Express Card from Bank of America

Congrats on the pay down!  While the good history is always a plus, having a closed boa amex does not offer an 'in' directly with Amex; the boa card just uses the Amex network for payment processing, it is not actually an Amex cc product.  In any case, sounds like you'll be ready to reapp Amex successfully in the near future. 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 8
jefftca925
Established Contributor

This is a BofA CC that works with the American Express network for purchases.  It is NOT from American Express (the bank).  It would be approved and serviced by Bank of America.  The rewards are decent on their cards.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 8
Established Member

Thanks!  That was exactly what I wanted to know.  If I get it now, it would just be to have a good no annual fee card.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

go with zync. not boa if you already got in trouble with them in past.

Message 5 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

go with zync. not boa if you already got in trouble with them in past.

I had an old vanity card with BOA that went to collection in 2004.  A few years later the account was deleted off my credit reports.  In 2008, I got approved for a new card with BOA with a CL of $5000.  Today, it is at $7000.  And when I log into my BOA account, I still see the old account showing. 

Message 6 of 8
Established Member

Thanks DI. Which CRA does BOA pull nowadays?

Message 7 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@28217 wrote:
Thanks DI. Which CRA does BOA pull nowadays?

De nada!  They pull EX.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.