cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknowingly became an authorized user

tag
cramirez

Unknowingly became an authorized user

As a nice gesture, my dad include me as an authorized user on a new credit card.  I never asked for this, but he thought it would be nice to do.  I never intend on using the card.  I know how some people piggyback on someone else's card to boost their credit score, but I don't need to do this.  In fact, I think that this may end up having a negative affect on my credit.  My dad likes to carry large balances and sometimes forgets to pay his bills.  He really does forget...he doesn't avoid bills, he just legitimately forgets sometimes.  Anyway, if I get him to take me off as an authorized user will this show up as a "closed account" on my credit report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Re: Unknowingly became an authorized user

It sounds like it would be in your best interests to be removed as an AU from the account. Once you are removed and are no longer an AU it should be totally removed from your CBR's. It will not show as a closed account - the account is not being closed.
Message 2 of 6
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

To my knowlege AU accounts don't tend to show up on your CR until you use it. So if the card with your name is never used even once, it may never hit your CR at all.
Message 3 of 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

@KingAdrock wrote:
To my knowlege AU accounts don't tend to show up on your CR until you use it. So if the card with your name is never used even once, it may never hit your CR at all.

Actually this is not true. I had my brother on my card as an AU and he never had a card. It reported on his report. Once i took him off, the complete line came off his report.

Message 4 of 6
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

oracles wrote:

@KingAdrock wrote:

Actually this is not true. I had my brother on my card as an AU and he never had a card. It reported on his report. Once i took him off, the complete line came off his report.

Totally agree.  I'm an AU on a BofA acct I have never used and have no intention of EVER using.  It took all of about 48 hours to show up on my reports after the request was made.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 5 of 6
cramirez

The credit card hit my credit report even before my dad got the physical cards to use.  This is how I found out about the card in the first place.  I got a notification from MyFico telling me there was a new account on my report and then I did some investigating and found out it was my dad who had added me (this was a great relief since my initial thought was that of identity theft). 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.