cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown revolving account. Dispute it or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unknown revolving account. Dispute it or not?

Upon checking my credit, I found a Target credit account from the year 2000.  I don't remember applying for it, and it shows no balance, good standing, and no usage.

I called Target, and they claim that they have no account under my SS#.

Here is my question: should I dispute this card?  It is by far the oldest account I have, and is in good standing.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Unknown revolving account. Dispute it or not?

Is it closed, so that no one can run up a balance on it?

If it's closed, then I wouldn't touch it. I wish the credit report fairies would sprinkle something like that on my reports. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It isn't closed.  Thats the strange thing.  It has a $300 limit and has never been used.
Message 3 of 8
PayingTheBills
Frequent Contributor

Does your CR give an account number for the card?  If so, #1 that is scary **bleep**.  #2 Why not call them up, tell them you lost "your" card, and ask them to send you a new one?

That would cancel the old card at least and you wouldn't risk a delinquency or worse.

Message Edited by PayingTheBills on 03-12-2009 07:26 PM

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 726 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CR doesn't show a number.  I gave them a call and they wanted the account number.  I told them I don't have it and they asked for my SS#.  After giving them that, they said they have no account under that SS#....

Its all so very strange.

If it was a fraud issue, I would think that I would have had problems around 2001 or so... but never had ANY issues.

Message 5 of 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Is it on all 3 credit reports? If it is on TU the entire account number might be present on a hard copy.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been too cheap to get all 3 reports.

...so a TU report should show the number?  Interesting...

Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Go to annualcreditreport.com and you can get all 3 for free.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.