Regular Contributor
anevilpetingzoo

Unknown revolving account. Dispute it or not?

Upon checking my credit, I found a Target credit account from the year 2000.  I don't remember applying for it, and it shows no balance, good standing, and no usage.

I called Target, and they claim that they have no account under my SS#.

Here is my question: should I dispute this card?  It is by far the oldest account I have, and is in good standing.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Unknown revolving account. Dispute it or not?

Is it closed, so that no one can run up a balance on it?

If it's closed, then I wouldn't touch it. I wish the credit report fairies would sprinkle something like that on my reports. :smileysad:
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor
anevilpetingzoo

It isn't closed.  Thats the strange thing.  It has a $300 limit and has never been used.
Frequent Contributor
PayingTheBills

[ Edited ]

Does your CR give an account number for the card?  If so, #1 that is scary **bleep**.  #2 Why not call them up, tell them you lost "your" card, and ask them to send you a new one?

That would cancel the old card at least and you wouldn't risk a delinquency or worse.

Message Edited by PayingTheBills on 03-12-2009 07:26 PM

Starting Score: 540 EQ 517 TU on 11/17/08
Current Score: 668 EQ 715 TU
Goal Score: 760 EQ 760 TU

My Credit Repair Journal
Regular Contributor
anevilpetingzoo

My CR doesn't show a number.  I gave them a call and they wanted the account number.  I told them I don't have it and they asked for my SS#.  After giving them that, they said they have no account under that SS#....

Its all so very strange.

If it was a fraud issue, I would think that I would have had problems around 2001 or so... but never had ANY issues.

Senior Contributor
smallfry

Is it on all 3 credit reports? If it is on TU the entire account number might be present on a hard copy.
Regular Contributor
anevilpetingzoo

I've been too cheap to get all 3 reports.

...so a TU report should show the number?  Interesting...

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Go to annualcreditreport.com and you can get all 3 for free.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}