Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unkown Caller ID from AMEX?

tag
Christhegardener
Established Member

Unkown Caller ID from AMEX?

Not sure if this is the right board, but it's about AMEX calling me about my recent credit card application using an Unknown number.

I applied and got the everyday preferred card approved after manual review recon. So I am just excitingly waiting for my new card. Then, today (a few days after the approval) some rep called with an anonymous number asking me to confirm my name and my last four ssn. Is this something that AMEX does? I refused to give her my number and after a few times she gave up and just told me that my card is coming this week. I'm glad it's AMEx calling about the status of my card, but wouldn't it raise security issues if AMEX keeps making unsolicited calls asking for people's socials? Any criminal could use the same trick wouldn't day?
First FICO 8: EQ 645 | TU 671 | EX 666 --- 11/1/16
FICO 8 Now: EQ 700 | TU 715 | EX 709 --- 12/05/16
Goal: 730-750 across the board by 4/1/17

Discover IT: $1250 | Cap1 QSMC: $300 | AMZN Sync: $6000 | Chevron Sync: $3500 | TJX Sync: $2500
Walmart: $400 | AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles $1000 | AMEX SPG $5000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Unkown Caller ID from AMEX?

When I was dealing with UW on a recent CLI they called from their Phoenix offices but the number did come up and they left a message with their direct ectension and also advised to call the number on the card if unsure.  Went online and chatted with the rep and confirmed the number and gave them a direct call.

New account and someone calling you to confirm your name / SSN would be a red flag.  This isn't normal and calling them instead of them calling you would be best for confirmation of speaking with the bank and not a scammer.  Not sure why they would be calling and asking for info unless they were just confirming the approval and tell you it's on the way.  There's a status page for that though Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Unkown Caller ID from AMEX?

If I were you I would call AMEX directly through their customer service and see if there are any issues/notes on your account proving this. Usually if there is suspected fraud on the account they'll direct you to their ASG.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.