cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited AMEX BCE CLI TO 31,000 , after denied Interest rate reduction....

tag
Aleecat
New Contributor

Unsolicited AMEX BCE CLI TO 31,000 , after denied Interest rate reduction....

I was under the impression that AMEX did not give auto crediT limit increases anymore.  I am not sure if this correlates with why I received an auto CLI, but earlier today I called and tried to get my 20% interest rate for purchases reduced. The Rep refused, asked to speak to the supervisior whom also refused. They said they would flag my account for review so when they are issuing out interest reducing promotions they might offer me one. I then went on to say I have been with AMEX for 3 years and I have never been offered one of these "so called" interest reduction rate promotions. I threatned to cancel my account . Still they did not budge. I told the supervisor that I would be looking for a balance transfer offer and once that is done I will be cancelling my account. 

Well, fast forward a few hours later I logged into my account and received a pop up asking me to verify that my income was still the same and I did . When I clicked the OK button, It said I was approved . I was shocked as I didnt apply for anything . My account was increased by 6,000.00.  I now have a CL of 31,000.00 with the BCE card.My current balance is 9,000.00 . Gonna just pay it off and not use the card . The interest rate still remains the same. Wondering if the CLI had something to do with me calling earlier today. This is the first time I received an auto CLI with this particular card. Also no formal income verification requested for the auto CLI from 25,000 to 31,000.

This was the email I received after the auto cli from AMEX 

"We are pleased to inform you that we have increased the credit limit on your account referenced above to $31,000.00. Your new credit limit is available immediately.

We periodically review the credit limits on accounts and make increases based on customers' excellent history with American Express. We hope this increase provides you with greater flexibility to make purchases on your card as you continue to enjoy the benefits of Card Membership. You can continue to shop with confidence knowing that the eligible purchases charged on your Card may be covered by Extended Warranty* and Purchase Protection.* "

3 REPLIES 3
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Unsolicited AMEX BCE CLI TO 31,000 , after denied Interest rate reduction....

So you try to get an apr reduction, they dont budge, give you a 6k increase and you want to pay off your card and not use it?. Wow. please dont get offended but if you can just pay off a 9k debt ,as surmised by how you stated it, then im not sure why the apr should matter so much. Seems like a great limit became even better and to just sd it seems like a waste. I dunno, never look a gifthorse in its mouth i guessSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 4
Aleecat
New Contributor

Re: Unsolicited AMEX BCE CLI TO 31,000 , after denied Interest rate reduction....

@averagejoescredit  I understand why you would say thaat. However, maybe I should rephrase that. I plan to pay it off and not carry a balance, so use it for small everyday purchases here anD there and PIF. I was not playing close attention to interest rate and interest charges for a very long time. Wasted alot of money this way I know. Shouldn't have had such a large balance unnecessarily, I get it. However, wanted to share my situation if it would help anyone in a similar scenario. 

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Understood aleecat and thank you for sharing. I can understand the interest rate thing myself. Though i dont qualify for the lowest aprs yet it is something worthy of trying to do. As i try to establish a pif mentality, sometimes not always possible with my economic ability, it is definitely an adventure at times. Of course we each must use our cards as we see fit so hopefully no offense taken, just i saw a pretty nice limit and in these days some lenders who have given high limits if they see little to no usage seem to be taken steps to reduce lines. Havent seen Amex do this yet but one never knowsSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.