Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused cards

tag
Jatindrj
Valued Member

Unused cards

I have five credit cards, two of which I use regularly, one occasionally, one which holds a balance until I can pay it off, and one I dont see myself using anytime soon. I plan on putting aside the one I dont use and maybe the one I only use occasionally. Do credit companies close cards if there is no activity on it for a long time or will they just leave it be?

Amex BCE - 15.9k, QuickSilver - 8k, Freedom - 5k, Discover It - 7.5k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Unused cards

Some do, some don't.  Some have a six month cycle, some 12 months.  It depends on the company.  If you don't want a card closed, buy a pack of gum every 6 months.

Message 2 of 5
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

agree with the djrez:

most will close six months to two years of inactivity.

best advice:

use them all every six months and pif!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 5
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Just try and use once every six months and you'll be fine.  Even if its just a $1 charge Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
BearOSO
Contributor

Guess I am lucky, my Sony Card was opened Jan 2008 (when it was issued by Chase), didn't use it and forgot I had it till I saw my CR earlier this year. Used it once for a promotion in 08 and just recently started using it again in Dec 2012, lol. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.