Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Store Card HELP!

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

Unwanted Store Card HELP!

So I fell into the SCT trap and opened one too many comenity cards. The last one was today. From everything i've read here the account will be reported no matter what and it doesn't look good to close a new account. 

So my question is, How long should I keep this account open before closing it?

6 months? 1 year? 

Should i use it a few times before closing it?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unwanted Store Card HELP!

Ohh no.. @Emily15.. Why.. Just why?Smiley Sad  Anyway, how many cards did you open?  Leave them on for a year before closing... And close one at a time-

Welcome to MYFICO...

Message 2 of 30
emily15
Regular Contributor

let's just say in the past two months i've opened more cards than i am comfortable admitting to...

My AAoA was killed. Which i've accepted.

They aren't ALL comenity store cards. however, the additional account today brings the comenity total to 5.

Most are actually stores I regularly use and shop at (VS, Ann Taylor & NY&C) however, today's new account (venus) I
really don't see myself using enough to justify having their card(hence the immediate remorse) haha Smiley Frustrated

Oh well. I guess i'll just learn from my mistake and wait a year to close it. 

and Thank you for the welcome !  

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok.. Remember, to get the best answers from here you have to be as open as possible to get honest feedback.  But I take your word for it. As long as you stay away from the SCT, you will be fine-

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes keep it open for a year before closing
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry you are having buyers remorse! I have to say, I'm glad this shopping cart trick has never worked for me. I think I'd be an immediate regretter too LOL
Message 6 of 30
emily15
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your responses!

I should use the card and pay it throughout the year though correct? To show a good history?

Rather than not using it at all for a year then closing
Message 7 of 30
northface28
Established Contributor

Pizza? Smiley Very Happy

BK Discharged 9/11

Cap1 Quiksilver Visa Signature $41k| Discover IT $24k| Barclays Uber VISA $16.2k|BOA Cash Rewards $8.4k| BOA BBR $6k|AMEX Cash Magnet $12.8k|AMEX BCP $16.6k|Huntington Voice $5.5k|Citi Double Cash $5.7k| US Bank Cash+ $6.5k
Message 8 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@northface28 wrote:

Pizza? Smiley Very Happy

real funny there NF!! At least I had to freaking cold app all of mine..Comenity denies me the SCT as a punishment!  

OP..BTW...There is NO set rules on that you have to keep a card open for a year. The only effect it has on you is utilization at this point. You already took the hit, and its gonna stay on your reports for 10yrs..positive. I just close 5 cards this month alone.  By the end of the year,,,Ill will probaly have 15 closed. I send my letters certified return receipt and in the letter I state I want it to say.."Closed at consumers request"...so it looks like to another lender that I closed them, not the creditor..always get it in writingSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@emily15 wrote:

let's just say in the past two months i've opened more cards than i am comfortable admitting to...

My AAoA was killed. Which i've accepted.

They aren't ALL comenity store cards. however, the additional account today brings the comenity total to 5.

Most are actually stores I regularly use and shop at (VS, Ann Taylor & NY&C) however, today's new account (venus) I
really don't see myself using enough to justify having their card(hence the immediate remorse) haha Smiley Frustrated

Oh well. I guess i'll just learn from my mistake and wait a year to close it. 

and Thank you for the welcome !  

Five cards? There are peeps here who open that many each day. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.