tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Re: Upcoming Amex Everyday vs BCP

@thelethargicage wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

I faced this same question last week.  I decided to go ahead and app for the BCP.  I plan to use it for gas/groceries with minimial general spend but will definitely max out the 6K per yr on groceries, thus, warranting the AF.  Plus, the extra 1% back on gas made it a no brainer for me.

Good luck whatever you decide.  Smiley Happy

I love your MasterCard-heavy/Visa-less collection! Is your Quicksilver a World MC?

You know, it's funny.  I just went on my first and last app spree and realized that I STILL don't have a dang Visa.  LOL

The QS is just a MC.  Both CapOne accounts are QS1's (same card, one with a personalized image, yes that's my dog), PC'ed from an Orchard Bank card and a Platinum card.  Both AF's perm waived.  Honestly, I love the rewards.  It's unreal how fast 1.5% cash back adds up on everything.  People bash CapOne and I'm guilty myself but a $200 trip to the grocery with $3 at home waiting for you to redeem it immediately is quite nice.  

Speaking of my MC heavy lineup, I guess I'll just have to run without a Visa for the next year.  Not sure I'm missing out on much.  I presume everywhere I travel takes a WMC and all stores in my area take pretty much everything.  My goal is to somehow get one of those CapOne cards converted to a Visa.  Not sure it'll happen.

Maybe not one of the CO MCs, but you might be able to PC the AAdvantage WMC to a Visa Signature

Thanks for the heads up.  I may try that once I get the card.  I just app'ed last Friday.  It's over a 5K limit by a long shot so maybe I'll have a chance.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 11 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@L-TWT wrote:

?

when using amex MR's to pay towards card purchases, is the conversion rate 1:1?

No.

MR points should never been redeemed for cash, GCs (unless there's a promo 50% discount) or statement credits, since the conversion rate is extremely subpar.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, since I've never bothered to check; but, I think it's 0.6:1.

Unless one plans to transfer MR points to FF for flight redemptions, the MR Program isn't worthwhile, at all.

Message 12 of 17
L-TWT
Established Contributor

thx 4 clarification, card just became a non-option 4 me!

Message 13 of 17
Raydonman

Agreed,

I took this information in here, and since I don't fly all that often, I decided to app for the BCP. I instantly got approved for 10K, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks for the help!

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 681
Goal Score: 700

Current Total: 11.9k | Credit Limit: 32,795 | Util: 36.5%
Message 14 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Raydonman wrote:
What I want to know, which is more worth it, membership rewards with the 50% benefit given by the upcoming Everyday Preferred, or the cash back from the BCP. 

Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  You need to supply a lot more info if you want us to provide feedback.  MR points aren't worth it to me given their transfer partners.  YMMV.

We don't even have enough info to tell you if the BCP is a good fit for you versus the BCE or the old Blue Cash.

Message 15 of 17
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@Raydonman wrote:

Agreed,

I took this information in here, and since I don't fly all that often, I decided to app for the BCP. I instantly got approved for 10K, so I'm happy about that.

Thanks for the help!

Congrats! I also decided to go with BCP instead of waiting out for the everyday preferred. I have a preference for cash back, but even more importantly I don't know of too many places where I could "swipe" 30 times a month to utilize the extra bonus (very MC/Visa oriented here!)

Message 16 of 17
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

CA and I were chatting about this the other day. Just depends on your wants and needs.

If you can't make the 30 transactions a month for the bonus, i wouldn't do it. Or even if those 30 transactions were better spent somewhere else.

If you don't like the MR transfer partners, don't do it. Like Open said, redeeming for GCs or a statement credit is not a good investment.

However, if you are able to make 30 trans a month on it and want to transfer points to partners, it can be a very good card. Without too much difficulty, you can get 2 cents per point for MR points when transferring. That means (assuming 30+ trans a month) 9% on supermarkets up to 6k a year, 4.5 on gas, and 3% on everything else. If used properly, and it's in line with what you want in a card, it has the potential to be a very nice card indeed.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.