cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming College Grad looking at adding the Marriot Rewards Premier

tag
porsche4life

Upcoming College Grad looking at adding the Marriot Rewards Premier

Ok so a little backstory.  I have been with my current employer as an intern and student employee since may '12.  I knocked down about 30k last year working 50-60hours/week with a ton of travel.  So I've been running up big balances and paying them in full everytime.  I currently carry 4 cards.  My IHG Visa, Apple Barclay, my corporate AMEX, and an Amazon Visa Signature that I'm an AU on the account. I graduate in December and will be staying with the same company and going to a salary position making ~$50k. I will be traveling a lot, mostly driving so I rack up a ton of hotel nights, my preferred is IHG properties but I've been in plenty of Marriots this year, hence my desire to build points faster there.

I just checked my FICO using the free 10day trial here and got a 783!! Smiley Very Happy  My current limits are IHG Visa( 6k) Apple(3.7K), Amex is at 3k but doesn't show on my fico?, and the Amazon(10k).  The last account opened was the IHG in august of 12

So my question is how bad will it ding me to add the marriott card to help my points build there?  Also, if I drop off the amazon as an AU will that totall kill me since the 10k is really helping my utilization?

And yes... One reason for wanting the Marriott card is the plunk factor of the metal card.  I admit it, I'm in sales, and when picking up the tab for dinner people notice things. Smiley Wink

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Upcoming College Grad looking at adding the Marriot Rewards Premier

@porsche4life wrote:

Ok so a little backstory.  I have been with my current employer as an intern and student employee since may '12.  I knocked down about 30k last year working 50-60hours/week with a ton of travel.  So I've been running up big balances and paying them in full everytime.  I currently carry 4 cards.  My IHG Visa, Apple Barclay, my corporate AMEX, and an Amazon Visa Signature that I'm an AU on the account. I graduate in December and will be staying with the same company and going to a salary position making ~$50k. I will be traveling a lot, mostly driving so I rack up a ton of hotel nights, my preferred is IHG properties but I've been in plenty of Marriots this year, hence my desire to build points faster there.

I just checked my FICO using the free 10day trial here and got a 783!! Smiley Very Happy  My current limits are IHG Visa( 6k) Apple(3.7K), Amex is at 3k but doesn't show on my fico?, and the Amazon(10k).  The last account opened was the IHG in august of 12

So my question is how bad will it ding me to add the marriott card to help my points build there?  Also, if I drop off the amazon as an AU will that totall kill me since the 10k is really helping my utilization?

And yes... One reason for wanting the Marriott card is the plunk factor of the metal card.  I admit it, I'm in sales, and when picking up the tab for dinner people notice things. Smiley Wink

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum 

IMHO you look good for the card with great approval odds and a good starting limit 

BTW I don't say that often

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@porsche4life wrote:

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum 

IMHO you look good for the card with great approval odds and a good starting limit 

BTW I don't say that often

+1

And I about fell out of my chair when he said that Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Geez thanks FinStar ROFLOL Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

Geez thanks FinStar ROFLOL Smiley LOL

ROFLMAO!!!  Anytime buddy!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Apply and then remove yourself as AU
Message 6 of 9
DomoNomo
Contributor

Welcome,

The ding won't be bad at all opening a Marriott CC.  You'll get a nice limit of at least $5000 and up to replace AU Amazon CC.  The novelty wears off on the aesthetics of the Marriott CC once it's been used too many times.  I didn't like using it at first because I didn't want it damaged.  One swipe will do it for ya especially when you have someone else, i.e. cashier do it.  They destroy that thing.  Well, now it's all beat up and I couldn't be bother with the looks of it anymore.

Message 7 of 9
porsche4life

Thanks for the replies guys! Smiley Very Happy

I applied online tonight and was instantly approved for  $13,800!

Message 8 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@porsche4life wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys! Smiley Very Happy

I applied online tonight and was instantly approved for  $13,800!

Congrats I knew you would get it BRAVO

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.