Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: AMEX $25K popularity

tag
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX $25K popularity

Hmm. Wife has the Blue Cash card. (Not even offered anymore) but I don't see any way to ask for a CLI online. I checked under Account Management and then under Manage Credit Limit, but the only options there are to check on balance transfer, recent declines or spending ability.
Must it be called in then to request a CLI? Haven't requested one in over two years.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 11 of 23
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

SO I pulled the trigger for the CLI and requested $25K and they told me that it has to be reviewed by the Risk Management Team etc that I will hear from them in 3 business days

Also the guy said that it will be a HP. I was like why??? AMEX has always been a SP. He said no for CLI's AMEX always HP's. I asked him this twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

My previous CLI was instant in like 2 seconds. My EX is frozen but I'm sure they can still SP if they wanted to just like WalMart and PSECU do.

I suspect it is because of the doubling of the credit limit and perhaps because you crossed some internal threshold.  Maybe they have a policy that all large requests for CLI have to go to a higher level manager for approvals.  I got the same message from my bank, the higher level manager reviewed but didn't do a hard pull thankfully.  And I was rewarded with the higher CL.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Roarmeister wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

SO I pulled the trigger for the CLI and requested $25K and they told me that it has to be reviewed by the Risk Management Team etc that I will hear from them in 3 business days

Also the guy said that it will be a HP. I was like why??? AMEX has always been a SP. He said no for CLI's AMEX always HP's. I asked him this twice to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

My previous CLI was instant in like 2 seconds. My EX is frozen but I'm sure they can still SP if they wanted to just like WalMart and PSECU do.

I suspect it is because of the doubling of the credit limit and perhaps because you crossed some internal threshold.  Maybe they have a policy that all large requests for CLI have to go to a higher level manager for approvals.  I got the same message from my bank, the higher level manager reviewed but didn't do a hard pull thankfully.  And I was rewarded with the higher CL.

I had a 11.2k CLI without any review so I don't think large CLI policies were the culprit. Probably reached an internal threshold?

Message 13 of 23
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Epcot. The ability to ask online seems to come and go. Not sure what causes it to appear and disappear. If you don't have it online, you can call.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

I wonder why they would put an internal threshold. Strange but hopefully they counter with something.

The double edge sword:

My $30K CL on my NFCU card can either help or make them nervous about my limits.  My total util is very low too; would be interesting to see what they come up with.

Message 15 of 23
CS800
Super Contributor

Results are in:

Current CL $12K

ASked for : $25K

After review : Denied without even a counter stating insufficient income.

I did the request last week and it went to a 'Financial Review' team and I didn't hear back from them until today.

Total util: $3%

BCE Balance: $21

Income: six figures

Thing is they didn't even pull a soft. AMEX strictly pulls EX in MA and I refreshed my EX and there were no softs from AMEX. So they just based their decisions on my income. That's the only thing they asked me.

Bummer.

Message 16 of 23
flowfaster
Established Contributor

WOW, insufficient income **bleep**?  I would call back for sure.  Is your rent/mortgage payment 10k+ a month, lol.  Something else must be going on they don't like.  Maybe your internal profitability algorithm is in the red?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 17 of 23

They may have used an old soft from a couple months back.  AMEX is known to do this.

Message 18 of 23
lanc
Regular Contributor

Random theory:  They saw the 30k NFCU CL and was like holy smokes why does this guy need that much credit available with his income.  He's going to find a woman and go into debt by 60k with no way to pay it back Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 23
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

I'm not sure, but my brother was around 14k-15k and requested online using the LUV button for around 40k IIRC and they countered with 33.3k. That is on a plain Jane AMEX Blue that he's had for around 3yrs now.

Generally, don't they ask for more documentation to provide anything above $25K

I am not sure but from our experience it a matter of YMMV. My DW AMEX True Earning was at 20K and she requested 35K and was approved. They never ask for any documents.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.