tag
newUser0
Established Contributor

Re: Chase SSA-89 Request Letter

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-89.pdf must be a social security issue.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf taxpayer issue. 

What issue can you think of after approval of the card?

I have already charged a lot to cover the min Spend on my cards.

Compliance often takes place after a card has been issued. If they cannot verify your SSN through their internal controls or the info doesn't match with the income reported on the W9 could be another reason. Or yours was just picked to be verified. 

I was thinking that maybe there was an issue with their SS. I wasn't too sure though. 

I never really had any issues related my SS till now. This is the FIRST Company requesting to fill this form for the FIRST Time.

Also, one more thing to note is that in the Letter, they have written "N/A", for the question which says 

"  This consent is valid for __days from the date signed. (Please initial.)  "

Message 11 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

I Applied & Approved for Chase Freedom on Dec 8 2013  then United Mileage on Feb 8 2013.

Today I received a letter in mail from chase, from its San Antino, TX Address requesting me to sign SSA-89?

Questions.

1) Is this a legitmate request? Never heard of any one being asked for this form earlier?

2) Why do they need this? After my approval of the card?

3) They even asked me to send a W-9? But Why??

call the number on the back of your card to verify if the request is legitimate. they probably will transfer you to the audit / verification / fraud prevention department.

Most likely they need this to verify your ID.

Best to ask them why they need your W-9 as well. Did you also open a checking / savings account?

I called the number on the letter and they asked for the request ID that was mentioned in the letter.

After being asked, why I need to send SSA authorization letter, CSR replied that, "once you complete this no one else would be apply a card other than yourself"

Was not able to understand exactly what this implied

I have a checking Account with Chase since Nov 8 2011 

My guess is that it is possible someone tried to open an account using your SSN / info. Or that your SSN got flagged by the system for some reason for being at risk for identity theft. 

It's really just an ID verification process for the most part.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Compliance often takes place after a card has been issued. If they cannot verify your SSN through their internal controls or the info doesn't match with the income reported on the W9 could be another reason. Or yours was just picked to be verified. 

This is my first signature card, Highest limit and I really want to get the bonus offer?

Not sure, if they placed any holds on my accounts yet.

Waiting for more reviews

Does the letter say if you don't respond by a certain date....this will happen?

It does say that I have to respond by 3/2/2014. But nothing about any effects, if I did not comply for this...

Message 13 of 45
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

I was thinking that maybe there was an issue with their SS. I wasn't too sure though. 

I never really had any issues related my SS till now. This is the FIRST Company requesting to fill this form for the FIRST Time.

Also, one more thing to note is that in the Letter, they have written "N/A", for the question which says 

Have you checked your reports latey ??? Someone with a different name may be trying to use your SS # .

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 14 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

It does say that I have to respond by 3/2/2014. But nothing about any effects, if I did not comply for this...

if you do not comply, they can't verify your identity. Chances are they will then flag the account as fraud and freeze or close it until they can resolve the ID verification issue.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

I Applied & Approved for Chase Freedom on Dec 8 2013  then United Mileage on Feb 8 2013.

Today I received a letter in mail from chase, from its San Antino, TX Address requesting me to sign SSA-89?

Questions.

1) Is this a legitmate request? Never heard of any one being asked for this form earlier?

call the number on the back of your card to verify if the request is legitimate. they probably will transfer you to the audit / verification / fraud prevention department.

Best to ask them why they need your W-9 as well. Did you also open a checking / savings account?

I called the number on the letter and they asked for the request ID that was mentioned in the letter.

After being asked, why I need to send SSA authorization letter, CSR replied that, "once you complete this no one else would be apply a card other than yourself"

My guess is that it is possible someone tried to open an account using your SSN / info. Or that your SSN got flagged by the system for some reason for being at risk for identity theft. 

I applied for 4 cards with in 3 days, in the last week and approved for all 4.

So this may be triggered this, But anyway all are with different lenders.

Thanks for the info, will call the number on back of my card tomo and see, what reason I hear from them ..

Message 16 of 45
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

Questions.

+1 sounds like someone else may have tried to use the OP SS #

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 17 of 45
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

if you do not comply, they can't verify your identity. Chances are they will then flag the account as fraud and freeze or close it until they can resolve the ID verification issue.

I would send them the form. ASAP

Message 18 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

I applied for 4 cards with in 3 days, in the last week and approved for all 4.

So this may be triggered this, But anyway all are with different lenders.

Thanks for the info, will call the number on back of my card tomo and see, what reason I hear from them ..

that is most likely the reason behind this.

Generally speaking, most people do not go around applying for multiple cards over a very short period of time. 

Just verify your ID and you will be fine.

Message 19 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@killer_queen229 wrote:

Have you checked your reports latey ??? Someone with a different name may be trying to use your SS # .

Yes, I checked my report today morning. 

My score has gone down by 21 Points on EQ and 29 Points with TU

Interesting thing is BOA, reported me on by the evening of the date I was approved for (Feb 10 2014)  I still not even received my card LoL!Smiley Happy

Never really heard any lenders, being reporeted within 5 Hours of being approved for the card..

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.