Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Update] Chase SSA-89 Request Letter

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase SSA-89 Request Letter

That could be it. For me it was simply to verify my SSN. So I was happy to do this directly with Chase sending a copy of the SSN and DL...I am not a big fan of these CRAs an if I can avoid them I do Smiley Happy

My next Chase card the Marriott got approved and only a few verification questions but nobody asked for this SSA-89 form anymore..LOL

Message 31 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

When I applied for my Freedom card I also got this form to fill out and return. When I called Chase to ask what this would be good for nobody was able to explain me. Smiley Sad Since the form mentioned something like authorization for Equifax to verify my SSN with SSA I did not send it back as it was supposed to be used by a 3rd party and not Chase directly.  So my application got cancelled. (not denied)  Asking why Chase explained they would need my SSN. So I asked if I could not just provide my SSN directly to them rather than this authorization for Equifax. Chase accepted and my card got approved. Still not sure what exactly happens when this form gets returned. Simply do not understand what Equifax wants to do with SSA and my SSN so I never sent it back.

I was looking in this forum for previous posts on this. I did read your earlier posts about Freedom.

But, I don't have anything like EQ mentioned on my report. But  I really went crazy and My CL went from $4500 to $39000 in one month.

I think as Lexie said, Chase might have SP me and gone mad by seeing a really of 866% Increase 

This is what triggered this. These are usually signs of fraud activity as many people don't open that much debt up in a short time. They want to make sure it's in fact you and not an person using your name. But I would be very careful as Chase will be be consistently watching your account at this moment. 

I graduated from college and got a high paying job. This changed my Annual Income drastically and at the same time I applied CLI on most of my cards, so this along with new cards I opened, caused a big CL Increase.

Message 32 of 45
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@efranklin23 wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

When I applied for my Freedom card I also got this form to fill out and return. When I called Chase to ask what this would be good for nobody was able to explain me. Smiley Sad Since the form mentioned something like authorization for Equifax to verify my SSN with SSA I did not send it back as it was supposed to be used by a 3rd party and not Chase directly.  So my application got cancelled. (not denied)  Asking why Chase explained they would need my SSN. So I asked if I could not just provide my SSN directly to them rather than this authorization for Equifax. Chase accepted and my card got approved. Still not sure what exactly happens when this form gets returned. Simply do not understand what Equifax wants to do with SSA and my SSN so I never sent it back.

I was looking in this forum for previous posts on this. I did read your earlier posts about Freedom.

But, I don't have anything like EQ mentioned on my report. But  I really went crazy and My CL went from $4500 to $39000 in one month.

I think as Lexie said, Chase might have SP me and gone mad by seeing a really of 866% Increase 

This is what triggered this. These are usually signs of fraud activity as many people don't open that much debt up in a short time. They want to make sure it's in fact you and not an person using your name. But I would be very careful as Chase will be be consistently watching your account at this moment. 

I graduated from college and got a high paying job. This changed my Annual Income drastically and at the same time I applied CLI on most of my cards, so this along with new cards I opened, caused a big CL Increase.

oh congrats on the new job!!!! In that case you should be good then. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 33 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

Thank you!

Message 34 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

Update-

Called up Number on back of the card and Chase Lending Dept CSR said that they are following this new procedure for the new customers and If I don't want to send W-9 I can ignore sending it for the moment.

Thanks for your suggestions

Message 35 of 45
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@newUser0 wrote:

Update-

Called up Number on back of the card and Chase Lending Dept CSR said that they are following this new procedure for the new customers and If I don't want to send W-9 I can ignore sending it for the moment.

Wonder what that means? How long is a 'moment'? Wonder if it will affect any CLI's?

Message 36 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

Update-

Wonder what that means? How long is a 'moment'? Wonder if it will affect any CLI's?

Same Here. You would be really surprised to see contents of the Letter.

It starts with saying " Thank you for choosing Chase as your financial needs. We are writing to confirm that we do have your correct social security number. Next , it says, If you do have a social security number please fill out SSA-89 Form and Send it to us"

I called Chase Freedom CSR, and she said that there was a notes already posted on my account for the request. Later, was transferred to lending Dept. She said that if you have a Interst cheking or Mortgage with Chase you need W-9. I said, i don't have any of these. 

Then she said I could send only my SSA-89 Form As of now. But, I really sending only SSA-89 as of Now. Will see, if they send me another request if they need W-9

Message 37 of 45
rlx01
Established Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

Update-

It starts with saying " Thank you for choosing Chase as your financial needs. We are writing to confirm that we do have your correct social security number. Next , it says, If you do have a social security number please fill out SSA-89 Form and Send it to us"

I called Chase Freedom CSR, and she said that there was a notes already posted on my account for the request. Later, was transferred to lending Dept. She said that if you have a Interst cheking or Mortgage with Chase you need W-9. I said, i don't have any of these. 

Then she said I could send only my SSA-89 Form As of now. But, I really sending only SSA-89 as of Now. Will see, if they send me another request if they need W-9

This is a pretty strange request, to be honest. What do they get from this that they don't get from a scan of your SS card?

Have you checked your CRs recently?

Message 38 of 45
newUser0
Established Contributor

@rlx01 wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

Update-

This is a pretty strange request, to be honest. What do they get from this that they don't get from a scan of your SS card?

Have you checked your CRs recently?

Exactly..

I even offered them, to send/fax my SS Card. But she said that this is the new security feature, we are implementing in Chase and we need to verify from SSA only.

Message 39 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

Exactly..

I even offered them, to send/fax my SS Card. But she said that this is the new security feature, we are implementing in Chase and we need to verify from SSA only.

Well, this is like Amex only accepting transcripts from the IRS rather than you sending in tax returns.  It's easy to make high quality fakes that would look fine in a scan ("Just $19.99, $50 for 3, from LongTimeLurker Shady Productions") so going to the SSA makes a lot of sense.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.