Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Credit Limit Increase

tag
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Update: Credit Limit Increase

I made a thread earlier saying i was going to do a credit limit increase. My CL atm on my delta reserve is 4600$ so i requested 3x the amount (13800$) This is the letter i received

Dear [hidden],

Thank you for your recent request for a credit limit increase. We're writing to let you know we're unable to approve your request at this time for the following reason(s):

We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another American Express Card.

I thought you can request a CLI on another card as long as it was 90 days after a cli on another card?

I guess not. I shall try again in 3 months? Or should i wait longer?

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: Update: Credit Limit Increase

Sorry to hear you were denied, but it was probably because you were within the 6-month timeline from your last CLI.  You need to wait until 6 months have passed since your last CLI request that was approved.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@Gornet wrote:

I made a thread earlier saying i was going to do a credit limit increase. My CL atm on my delta reserve is 4600$ so i requested 3x the amount (13800$) This is the letter i received

Dear [hidden],

Thank you for your recent request for a credit limit increase. We're writing to let you know we're unable to approve your request at this time for the following reason(s):

We cannot increase the credit limit of a Card within six months of increasing the credit limit on another American Express Card.

I thought you can request a CLI on another card as long as it was 90 days after a cli on another card?

I guess not. I shall try again in 3 months? Or should i wait longer?

The 6 month's rule is correct. Wait for at least another 3 months, and make sure you keep your credit clean the whole time. Good luck on the next try!

Message 3 of 8
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, for some odd reason i thought it was 90 days after my cli on another card... Sad. lol

My Credit story
Message 4 of 8
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Gornet wrote:

Yeah, for some odd reason i thought it was 90 days after my cli on another card... Sad. lol

The 90 days only applies if you had been denied on your last increase request.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 5 of 8
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

Ah, i see. XD

I will apply for the CLI around the same time i apply for a chase card, sometime in December. 

This kind of ruined my day lol. Its okay, studying for my psych exam will make me happier (just kidding)

My Credit story
Message 6 of 8
YikesOMG

Yes, I'm glad to have finally learned this...that AMEX will only do one credit limit increase for one card every 6 months.  

Which blew my mind when the credit risk group guy told me this on the phone, as I scrolled through my documentation and was like "No, look, on March 3rd...oh wait, that one was rejected too."  And then I realized the AMEX main line people just go ahead and do the request (I always just do them back to back on the same day, every 6 months, since my Chase cards just go through every time, I never noticed this pattern).  

Message 7 of 8
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@YikesOMG wrote:

Yes, I'm glad to have finally learned this...that AMEX will only do one credit limit increase for one card every 6 months.  

Which blew my mind when the credit risk group guy told me this on the phone, as I scrolled through my documentation and was like "No, look, on March 3rd...oh wait, that one was rejected too."  And then I realized the AMEX main line people just go ahead and do the request (I always just do them back to back on the same day, every 6 months, since my Chase cards just go through every time, I never noticed this pattern).  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/1811071

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.