Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on my 17 credit cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on my 17 credit cards!

Hey everyone, I recieved a huge amount of comments and suggestions from my previous post when I announced to the world about my 17 credit cards. It's been a little over 3 weeks I think and I haven't applied to any credit cards since. My credit score has improved a little. TU 713 EX 695 EQ 685. That being said, the honeymoon stage to owning so many cards has worn off. I will admit, I have thought about closing a few of my cards but every time I look at them, I refuse to close them!! I am making an attempt to garden till next year so my credit score can continue to improve and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who ever gave me tips and advice on my credit. I greatly appericate it!! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update on my 17 credit cards!

No need to close any.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great effort! Try to place spend on each card, even if it is only $5 to prevent them from being closed. I am in the garden with you for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Update this thread when you get urges. I would be glad to watch your progress.

Message 3 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

To me, with 17 cards, as long as your balances are low/zero, you have a lot of leeway in closing ones you don't want. There's no real benefit to rushing to close them, but there's also not much benefit in keeping useless cards.

Since it hasn't been a long time, I'd suggest you just monitor your natural use of the cards over time. You'll notice which ones you use and which ones you have to basically force yourself to use. The latter would be the candidates for closure.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

17 is so many!

I guess I wouldn't have a problem with so many cards but even if you miss ONE payment it will destroy the positives of having so much credit. YMMV
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
17 is so many!

I guess I wouldn't have a problem with so many cards but even if you miss ONE payment it will destroy the positives of having so much credit. YMMV

Which is why you should always enable auto-pay on all your cards that allow it (auto PIF if you can, or min if you can't)

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy one of those fake RFID aluminum wallet things from the 99 cent store and store about 12 of them that you don't use in there. Every couple of weeks rotate one into your wallet.

I'm pretty sure every single credit card I have sends me an email statement. There's almost no reason to forget about a payment unless you are forgetting your emails.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The other way Ive rotated my Visa Master American Express cards is set up an Amazon subscribe and save, use different credit cards for each item im buying. I really don't do that anymore because I have the Amazon store card, but it works.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Buy one of those fake RFID aluminum wallet things from the 99 cent store and store about 12 of them that you don't use in there. Every couple of weeks rotate one into your wallet.

I'm pretty sure every single credit card I have sends me an email statement. There's almost no reason to forget about a payment unless you are forgetting your emails.

I do need a way to rotate my credit cards. I'm thinking about 4 cards a month and then the next batch. Right now, I'm still trying to change my payment dates lol. I've got most of them on the same day but I need to make a few more phone calls lol

Message 9 of 10
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do need a way to rotate my credit cards. I'm thinking about 4 cards a month and then the next batch. Right now, I'm still trying to change my payment dates lol. I've got most of them on the same day but I need to make a few more phone calls lol

Daisy, that is the smart thing to do.  I did that a few months ago and it makes it so much easier to sit down and pay once a month instead of having to sit down to pay each and every week.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.