Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated- APPROVED!!! Amex Recon Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Recon Question

Hi I got approved for AMEX charge card and was denied BCE. I called to find out what my limit is for the charge card. Several notes here talk about high spending limits. The CSR told me there are pre-set spending limits associated with the charge card. How do you guys get that number? Thanks.

Message 31 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

@Seoul12- When you log into ur amex acct there's a link on the left titled "check spending avaiability." click on that & then enter in an amount & then you'll either get an approved or denied response. You can only check 2x a day/within 24 hrs, more than 2x & you get "for security purposes your request can't be processed online, please call blah, blah, blah. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 32 of 38
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi I got approved for AMEX charge card and was denied BCE. I called to find out what my limit is for the charge card. Several notes here talk about high spending limits. The CSR told me there are pre-set spending limits associated with the charge card. How do you guys get that number? Thanks.

The rep you spoke with is right that amex charge cards are npsl. However all amex charge cards have an internal spending limit which is not reported to the credit bureaus. I've found that this internal limit typically varies from month to month

To answer your question though, when you set up your online account with amex there will be a button on the homepage called check spending ability. Through that link you can enter a hypothetical purchase amount and it will tell you if it would be approved. It's not an exact science but it will allow you to generally figure out your internal spending limit + or - $1000

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 33 of 38
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

Out of curosity did they hardpull a seccond time? If so what bureau?

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 34 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

@CreditChampion wrote:

Out of curosity did they hardpull a seccond time? If so what bureau?

Yes, I did get a 2nd HP, same bureau-EX. Weird bc I have a security freeze on EX & they didn't call me for a pin. They must've got around the freeze as an account review on my Zync card but a little below the belt to then place it on my CR as a hard inquiry. I really wanted the card so it's not the end of the world but still annoying. Think I should call the Exec office?

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

Message 35 of 38
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

I would not as you got the card.....not worth the hassle. I had similar experience when I reconned my fathers AMEX application throught the executive offices after faxing in a credit report.

Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 36 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

Got my BCP in the mail on Saturday & was kinda surprised that my apr after the promo  period ends is 17.24%, the lowest apr offered on the BCP. Ironic that amex would give me the lowest apr considering that they initially denied me for the card. I don't plan on carrying a balance anyhow but just wanted to share. 

Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for letting me know how to check my spending limit on Amex!

Some updates: I got FR'd. I applied for too many Amex cards that same night I guess. I complied. I now have a $6k spending limit imposed

on the gold card. 

I was denied the BCE card. I became a little daring and applied for the Chase Sapphire a few weeks back. I got approved today for $5k by calling the backdoor number.

I am really happy. Because I am rebuilding my credit and my scores are low. And the largest CL I have is a $750 Cap 1 card and was denied recently for a better card from

Cap 1! Go figure.

I read this forum for inspiration. I think I am on my way to re-building my credit today! Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.