Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Mini App Spree., 2/3 with one pending

tag
jgbishop
Valued Member

Updated: Mini App Spree., 2/3 with one pending

I recently (as in today) won a dispute and had 2 baddies removed from my credit history. I want to get a few cards in August so here's the new credit profile:

EQ (myFICO): 706 w/ 4 inquires, 2 to no longer report at the end of June

EX (myFICO): 735 w/ 1 inquiry

TU (myFICO): 748 w/ 2 inquiries

History: 3 years

AAoA: 2 years

Revolving credit age: 9 months (had 5 years but the dispute removed those accounts)

Debt Summary:

-6 federal student loans of various amounts totaling less than 10K

-1 installment loan that is a OD protection on my checking account

-1 Cap1 card with a $300 CL (wish this was much higher since my old cards were removed)

Current utilization: 4%

Income is $97k and some change

Target cards for the spree:

Amex Plat and/or PRG

Chase United MilesPlus Explorer

Chase Sapphire Preferred (later in the year I'm thinking though)

I wanted some thoughts on chances of success and ordering of the apps. I've read some posts about applying in the same window to only get one HP for certain cards. I asked about a few of these cards and got some great responses a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about applying over the phone for the AMEX in hopes that I can get manually UW instead of the automated scoring and then having to call back. I may do it for all if the extra couple of inquiries won't matter.

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: TU (myFICO) , EQ (myFICO) 620 , EX (PlusScore) 661 [1/1/13]
Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]
Goal Score: 750+ All Three

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jgbishop
Valued Member

Re: Mini App Spree.. Thoughts?

Here's what I'm thinking... Apply for the United ExplorerPlus card this month and hope for a 5K CL roughly. Let the register in July and then go for the AMEX in August showing the Chase card on my report. Is the ExplorerPlus easeir to get than the CSP?

Current Score:font> TU (myFICO) 678 , EQ (myFICO) 660 , EX (PlusScore) 706 [6/11/13]

Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Just to be clear, the only rev cc you'll have on your cr is a $300 CL?
Message 3 of 12
jgbishop
Valued Member

Lexie - Yeah since the history of the others was deleted with the dispute. I remember you saying it was unlikely with that low of a CL when I was asking about this a couple weeks ago. Took the advice about calling Cap1 backdoor for a CLI but they won't do customer initiated ones per the CSR I spoke with. I won't be shocked to be instantly denied but would calling the chase backdoor for recon help? If recon doesnt work in that case for the Explorer, would they roll the application over to a freedom without another HP possibly and then just try to get that card for now?

Message 4 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The likelihood of Chase using the same Hp for two different apps is slim. I'm not familiar with the Explorers requirements and with all apps its a YMMV. It might be more prudent to try for their lower tiered cc first but if you are find with the inq- app for the cc you want.

Good luck and keep us posted. ,
Message 5 of 12
jgbishop
Valued Member

Just applied for the United Explorer and got instant approval for $12,000. Now I'm going to sit back and apply for the AMEX Platinum in August.

Will bump the thread when I apply there.

Thanks everybody!

Message 6 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 12
roshan
Contributor

@jgbishop wrote:

Just applied for the United Explorer and got instant approval for $12,000. Now I'm going to sit back and apply for the AMEX Platinum in August.

Will bump the thread when I apply there.

Thanks everybody!

Congrats.

FYI.. I applied for United Explorer, Chase CSP and Priority club all three on same day.. and to my surprise on my EX only one HP by chase that day.  YMMV....

Message 8 of 12
jgbishop
Valued Member

Well I did more thinking. My AAoA is going to be shot after the new card starts reporting. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the CSP and Amex Platinum. CSP is under review but AMEX Platinum was instantly approved. I feel good about the CSP but won't be upset if recon doesn't get it. Now to garden. Thanks for all of the help for all of these. In summary, I went from 2 baddies on 660 scores and a 300 CL only two weeks ago to 700+ scores and now the proud owner of a 12000 CL United Explorer and a NPSL Amex Platinum with a pending for the CSP. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Message 9 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.