Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎09-10-2012
0

Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

[ Edited ]

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?

 

Update: Contacted Amex via the secure email system to ask for the 10.000 points ... received an answer 10 minutes later (WOW), 10.000 points added to my account. I love them Smiley Very Happy

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BizGold (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (18,200) | CapOne (10,000) | Chase Ink (9,000) | Citi DCB (8,500) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | US Bank Business Edge (5,000) | Walmart | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 743/751/742

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,486
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation


shakalaka wrote:

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?


Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  Smiley Wink

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10.5K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 818 EQ = 823 TU = 822 as of 07/15
Established Contributor
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎09-10-2012
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation


thom02099 wrote:

shakalaka wrote:

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?


Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  Smiley Wink


Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BizGold (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (18,200) | CapOne (10,000) | Chase Ink (9,000) | Citi DCB (8,500) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | US Bank Business Edge (5,000) | Walmart | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 743/751/742

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,524
Registered: ‎08-17-2008
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation


shakalaka wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

shakalaka wrote:

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?


Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  Smiley Wink


Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.


Thats cool they offered it to you!

 

My terms are 18.99% and cannot exceed $35K, but its nice to have for those special - special - special circumstances. Smiley Wink


$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,241
Registered: ‎07-18-2009
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.


I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Established Contributor
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎09-10-2012
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation


cashnocredit wrote:

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.


Thanks, but this is interesting. My oldest card is 11 months and my history with Amex 4 months (ZYNC). But I talk it Smiley Very Happy

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BizGold (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (18,200) | CapOne (10,000) | Chase Ink (9,000) | Citi DCB (8,500) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | US Bank Business Edge (5,000) | Walmart | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 743/751/742

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,067
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Posts: 569
Registered: ‎09-10-2012
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

Good idea, will do so.

 

Thanks


Walt_K wrote:

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.




Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BizGold (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (18,200) | CapOne (10,000) | Chase Ink (9,000) | Citi DCB (8,500) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | US Bank Business Edge (5,000) | Walmart | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 743/751/742

Established Contributor
Posts: 937
Registered: ‎07-24-2012
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation


cashnocredit wrote:

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.


That's solid advice, thanks. I just got the offer to sign up via mail a couple days ago. Not interested in it at all but I am always interested in the points if they offer them as a bonus. I'll ignore it for a while and see if I get another sign up offer with points. 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-01-2013
0

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

I signed up for it when I activated my Amex Green.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.