Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

tag
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?

Update: Contacted Amex via the secure email system to ask for the 10.000 points ... received an answer 10 minutes later (WOW), 10.000 points added to my account. I love them Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

@shakalaka wrote:

Just activated my new beauty Smiley Very Happy While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?

Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@shakalaka wrote:

Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  Smiley Wink

Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.

Message 3 of 17
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

@thom02099 wrote:

@shakalaka wrote:

Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.

Thats cool they offered it to you!

My terms are 18.99% and cannot exceed $35K, but its nice to have for those special - special - special circumstances. Smiley Wink

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 17
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.

Thanks, but this is interesting. My oldest card is 11 months and my history with Amex 4 months (ZYNC). But I talk it Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 17
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Good idea, will do so.

Thanks

@Walt_K wrote:

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.

Message 8 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

That's solid advice, thanks. I just got the offer to sign up via mail a couple days ago. Not interested in it at all but I am always interested in the points if they offer them as a bonus. I'll ignore it for a while and see if I get another sign up offer with points. 

Message 9 of 17
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

I signed up for it when I activated my Amex Green.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.