Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

tag
nagisa
New Contributor

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

I signed up for the Pay Over Time because a CSR was offering 10k MR points for it. I was actually calling in to get a PC from Gold to PRG. Never used it yet though, but the 10k points was nice.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 11 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I will ask them for sure for the Points. Let´s see who they value a new Platinum customer ... But it is not activated it, it will take 24-48 hours. Maybe they give me the points before I ask them anyway Smiley Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 12 of 17
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.

Thanks, but this is interesting. My oldest card is 11 months and my history with Amex 4 months (ZYNC). But I talk it Smiley Very Happy

That's cool! They didn't offer me POT for 6 months. The first offer was just a notification I would be eligible after the next billing cycle. Then a couple months later they held out a 5k MR carrot. Then, when I called to add an AU the CSR offered POT with a 10k carrot. I pointed out there was no way I was going to POT at interest rates above 1%. He said sure but "lots of folks just sign up for the MR points and never use it."  It's really insane to offer me POT. I'm not just out of college. I'm retired and peeps that are retired should never carry balances.

Kinda hard for me to believe that's in their sales script.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 17
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Re: Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

Update: Contacted Amex via the secure email system to ask for the 10.000 points ... received an answer 10 minutes later (WOW), 10.000 points added to my account. I love them Smiley Very Happy

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 14 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I was offered pay over time at 18.99% interest with a pay over time limit of 35k when I activated my PRG. I think they consider me an excellent risk due to zync usage.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Congrats on the points. I think everyone gets the same terms for POT (18.99/35k)
Message 16 of 17
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Congrats on the points. I think everyone gets the same terms for POT (18.99/35k)

Not quite true.  My APR for POT/Sign & Travel is 15.24%.  I think others have posted about lower APRs as well.  It's a nice feature, but it's too easy to find a 0% offer elsewhere if you need to carry a balance. Although, I do like the idea of no impact to UTIL% if you do carry a balance for a bit.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.