Established Contributor
shakalaka

Updated: Question about pay over time offered on activation

[ Edited ]

Just activated my new beauty :smileyvery-happy: While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?

Update: Contacted Amex via the secure email system to ask for the 10.000 points ... received an answer 10 minutes later (WOW), 10.000 points added to my account. I love them :smileyvery-happy:

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (12,700) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | Walmart (4,500) | CapOne (4.000) | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

FICO: TU 770 (8/18) EQ 732 (8/8) EX 748 (12/5)

Valued Contributor
thom02099

Re: Question about pay over time offered on activation

shakalaka wrote:

Just activated my new beauty :smileyvery-happy: While activting it, AX asked my if I want to enroll in pay over time. Which I did. But is this normal? I thought you need to get invited for this?

Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  :smileywink:

AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 768 EQ = 828 TU = 834 - June/2014
Established Contributor
shakalaka

thom02099 wrote:

shakalaka wrote:

Pay over time is offered with several AMEX cards.  Whether one chooses to use it is a matter of personal preference.  I signed up for that feature just to have it, but highly doubtful I'll ever use it.  But...never say never !  :smileywink:

Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.

Amex Platinum (NPSL) | Amex BCE (33,400) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (24,800) | Discover IT (12,700) | Chase Freedom (6,300) | Walmart (4,500) | CapOne (4.000) | Alliant CU Visa | Gone for good: CapOne secured (thx for getting me started) | Amex Zync (thx for getting me into AX)

Valued Contributor
chnceit

shakalaka wrote:

thom02099 wrote:

shakalaka wrote:

Yeah, same here. Never say never. I was just wondering, that it was offered at activation.

Thats cool they offered it to you!

My terms are 18.99% and cannot exceed $35K, but its nice to have for those special - special - special circumstances. :smileywink:

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Established Contributor
cashnocredit

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy15k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Established Contributor
shakalaka

cashnocredit wrote:

Normally they offer POT after you have had a charge card for a while. You likely are seen as an excellent credit risk to be offered that on activation. I would hold off though. Amex will typically offer 5k MR points to sign up if you don't jump at the first offer. The last time I talked to a CSR they tried to get me to sign up for 10k MR points. Wait for a good deal. You don't have to use them and frankly, the interest rates on POT are pretty bad.

Thanks, but this is interesting. My oldest card is 11 months and my history with Amex 4 months (ZYNC). But I talk it :smileyvery-happy:

Senior Contributor
Walt_K

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
shakalaka

Good idea, will do so.

Thanks

Walt_K wrote:

It was offered at activation on my cards.  I declined because I wanted MR points.  They've been running the 10K MR points deal again.  If you signed up, you should ask them if they will give you the 10K offer.  Don't know if they will match, but it can't hurt to ask.

Established Contributor
scenery_guy

cashnocredit wrote:

That's solid advice, thanks. I just got the offer to sign up via mail a couple days ago. Not interested in it at all but I am always interested in the points if they offer them as a bonus. I'll ignore it for a while and see if I get another sign up offer with points. 

Frequent Contributor
CredittotheMax

I signed up for it when I activated my Amex Green.

$3.5k$4.5k$2k$4k$2k

FICO = EQ: 729 (6/13) TU:744 (12/27) EX: ?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+