cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated, Scores up! What is a solid general credit card to start rebuilding credit with

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: What is a solid general credit card to start rebuilding credit with

I have a card from them, though it wasnt the exact offer you receive. It hasnt been used since October, but reporting has helped me increase approx 45 points since opening.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 31 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

After checking all three CR, TU is the only one showing inquiries. Four-two from recently acquired CC and two from collections angencies, can they do that and why would they? They are over a year old.  I disputed both of the debts when they first contacted me, one I am making payments on and the other is showing as paid. Can I have the inquiries removed? 

Also, with  my FICO scores (TU 687, EQ 629, EX 603 ouch Smiley Sad) is it worth it to app for a Discover card at this point? I'm still paying Cap 1 off so I don't want to app with them quite yet. 

Message 32 of 37
HiLine
Blogger

@LilyWallace wrote:

Lol@both replies. I was thinking they would be a little more discretionary in extending offers, but I give them too much credit. No pun intended. Smiley Very Happy

I'm new to the forum world. How do I reply with the original message in the box? 

Look at the top right corner of the message box that you type in. Next to the "Spell Check" button there is a "Quote" button. Click on that one. Robot Very Happy

Message 33 of 37
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@LilyWallace wrote:

After checking all three CR, TU is the only one showing inquiries. Four-two from recently acquired CC and two from collections angencies, can they do that and why would they? They are over a year old.  I disputed both of the debts when they first contacted me, one I am making payments on and the other is showing as paid. Can I have the inquiries removed? 

Also, with  my FICO scores (TU 687, EQ 629, EX 603 ouch Smiley Sad) is it worth it to app for a Discover card at this point? I'm still paying Cap 1 off so I don't want to app with them quite yet. 

Collections agencies have the right to pull a hard inquiery if they have the legal right to collect on the debt.  They do it to see how you are doing on the rest of your credit.  If you are reliably paying your other debts they may spend some extra effort to collect from you.  You will not have the inquiries removed and disputing them risks getting a fraud alert slapped on your reports. 

I'd way on Discover.  Once you get all your scores above 650 you can give it a shot.  If memory serves they typically pull EQ and a 629 is going to be borderline at best.  The TU score ain't bad and you can look at a Barclay issued card as they typically pull TU.

Message 34 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

One of the amounts isn't accurate though. So why do they consider it fraud if I dispute it? 

Message 35 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

@HiLine wrote:

@LilyWallace wrote:

Lol@both replies. I was thinking they would be a little more discretionary in extending offers, but I give them too much credit. No pun intended. Smiley Very Happy

I'm new to the forum world. How do I reply with the original message in the box? 

Look at the top right corner of the message box that you type in. Next to the "Spell Check" button there is a "Quote" button. Click on that one. Robot Very Happy

Aha! Thank you Smiley Happy 

Message 36 of 37
enharu
Super Contributor

US Bank has some rebuilder cards that you can check out.

Other than that, like everyone suggested Capitalone is good too.

Oh, you can also check out local credit unions. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.