cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated, Scores up! What is a solid general credit card to start rebuilding credit with

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: General credit card to start rebuilding credit with

@LilyWallace wrote:

Will do. I wish I'd known about this site years ago. Doesn't Capital One own Orchard as well as HSBC? I was reading another post that said if Capital One declines then they downsell to an HSBC card. 

Capital One is a good choice, especially the secured card which I like because you can deposit enugh to get the size CL you like.

Capital One bought the Orchard, and Household bank branded  CC from HSBC in the US.   So you can not apply for either brand anymore, you need to apply for Capital One.

HSBC Bank is one of the largest banks in the world, and Captial One did not buy them.  .

Message 11 of 37
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Re: General credit card to start rebuilding credit with

I wouls also suggest the Cap1 like the other replies. 

I would add just 2 more cents that the Target card isn't probably a good choice IF you were already surprised at getting approved for your first two cards.  They seem to give lower CLs and not too good, if ever on CLIs as I read here.  So, the INQ probably isn't worth it.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 12 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

Re: What is a solid general credit card to start rebuilding credit with

Good idea thom0299, I will try that. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 37
a3quit4s
Regular Contributor

I rebuilt with a Secured BoA card.

I hate Capital One

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Message 14 of 37
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I love Capital One! I have 3 cards with them:

1. Orchard Bank $1100 CL
2. Cash Rewards $2500 CL
3. Best Buy store card $2500 CL no AF

They are easy to get increases through but I have always had great customer service with them and they helped rebuild my credit such that I now have a Chase Freedom!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 15 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

I actually have a small chargeoff amount ( less than $400) with Cap1 from about 6 years ago that I just started paying off. That is why I was asking about options because I am a little bit chicken to try applying with them again. I got a pre-app app in the mail from Credit1 a couple years ago. Does Cap1 own them? Their logos are identical except the Credit and Capital words.

Since  I already have 2 GE cards, I also considered just applying for an ebay or PP MC or an AmazonGE card. I love Amazon but I read a load of negative comments about it (and GE) on Amazon. I thought if I established with GE then I could apply for others in 6m-1yr. 

Message 16 of 37
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 approved me and I was still making payments on a charge off I had with them .
Message 17 of 37
LilyWallace
Valued Member

twall06-I also got a Merrick app a couple years ago but never sent it because I wasn't ready to start credit again. I flinched when I saw the fees and APR but I see it as having to pay my credit karma dues to rebuild.

How has your experience been with them? 

Message 18 of 37
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Good its a secured card had it since November I like the free score . I had it three months and was approved for a cap1 platinum card . I'm going to cancel the merrick one after a year since the AF is 99 the second year and it was 75 the first . Payments are easy to make online . I have had no problem with them. But Ive never had to contact customer service I applied for them on creditcards.com if you go to the merrick site it says by invitation only.
Message 19 of 37
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Whoops! Major typo! I meant to say Capital One is NOT easy to get increases through
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.