Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Credit Card Limit without purchasing

tag
Sheisaking
Contributor

Updating Credit Card Limit without purchasing

Good Afternoon!!

I'm preparing to buy a new vehicle at the end of the year. I have requested credit limit increases on all of my credit cards and paid most of them off. The limit increases were granted on all of the cards, but some of them I have not used in a while. Because I have not used them, they limit increase is not reflected on my credit report. Is there any way to request the credit limit increase to be updated without making a purchase on the cards? A few of them are store cards and there is honestly nothing I need to purchase at the moment. I would like to the limit increase reflecting because it will help my score. Should I dispute the cards on my reports to get the limit to update? Should I contact the card provider to request they update my credit profile? Almost all of my cards are comenity. Thanks for the advice. 

Starting Score: 400s
Current Score: Equifax: 676, TransUnion: 710, Experian: 721
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Sheisaking
Contributor

Re: Credit Card Update on Reports

Anyone?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

More than likely for the store cards you are going to need to use them before they will show the updates or it could take several months before they do on their own.  Contacting the creditor probably isn't going to do any good.  Certainly don't dispute anything as you have no basis for a dispute.  The reporting of credit limit increases or even reporting the accounts at all is purely voluntarily by the creditors as they have no obligation to do so.

Message 3 of 7
Sheisaking
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

More than likely for the store cards you are going to need to use them before they will show the updates or it could take several months before they do on their own.  Contacting the creditor probably isn't going to do any good.  Certainly don't dispute anything as you have no basis for a dispute.  The reporting of credit limit increases or even reporting the accounts at all is purely voluntarily by the creditors as they have no obligation to do so.

Thank you so much for replying. I even thought about making a payment to show activity, but I can't make payments since the cards are at a zero balance. I will go online today and buy accessories or something. Thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sheisaking wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for replying. I even thought about making a payment to show activity, but I can't make payments since the cards are at a zero balance. I will go online today and buy accessories or something. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.  Just buy something very cheap and immediately pay it off.  You want to keep those kind of cards active once in a while anyways or they may just stop reporting altogether until you use them again.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this would work but can't you just buy something and wait for it to post.... then return it? That's showing activity isnt it haha

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Updating Credit Card Limit without purchasing

With any credit cards you need periodic activity. What cards are we talking about that are lacking activity?

Give me any store card and I can find something to buy that is moderately priced that I could wear or use.That is the price one must pay to keep a solid well rounded credit profile with the highest possible score.

The benefits of a high score far outweigh buying a few articles of clothing or cosmetics every 3-4 months or so.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.