Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

Seems like that'd be a downgrade! Slate has 0 bt fees!!! Love my cashback on Freedom though!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 11 of 16
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

I would think that the freedom would be a downgrade too... I always thought the freedom was almost an "entry" level card.. Well I guess Amazon would be the entry level card for chase but still.. Slate seems to be a "higher" tiered card..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 16
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I had a Chase Slate (changed over from a really old card with a different bank) and PC'd it to a Freedom card once I paid off my balance.  I think each card has a different benefit depending on the user needs.  If you PIF every month, I don't see the benefit of the Slate.  I had no problem with the PC, but I had 0 balance, and I had the account for over 10 years.  My APR is still really awful though (27% and won't budge) but I don't keep a balance - I just want the rewards!

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you carry a balance every month during the 1 year wait to pC to freedom? I'm trying to PC from slate to freedom as well but they told me I had to wait a year for a PC. I paid off my balance transfer and was wondering if I should carry like a small balance on the card till the year expires to show them that I PIF.

Message 14 of 16
cjack202003
New Contributor

All I did was send a secure message telling them I was paying off my slate in a few weeks and thinking about closing my account(which was true).  I told them if I was eligible for a product change, I would consider keeping my account open.  They emailed me back saying they could convert me to a freedom.  Yep, I took the offer Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Freedom is not a down grade if your not using it for BTs. You get points/$ back for spending. None of their cards are really entry level. Chase is very strict on who they give credit too. Slate like others said are only really good if you carry a balance. I think there is a 1% APR difference between the two. Also I have never seen any world or signature slates only on freedom. So maybe that tells you something as well.
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.