Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Senior Contributor

Re: Upgrade Slate to Freedom?

Seems like that'd be a downgrade! Slate has 0 bt fees!!! Love my cashback on Freedom though!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Regular Contributor

I would think that the freedom would be a downgrade too... I always thought the freedom was almost an "entry" level card.. Well I guess Amazon would be the entry level card for chase but still.. Slate seems to be a "higher" tiered card..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

I had a Chase Slate (changed over from a really old card with a different bank) and PC'd it to a Freedom card once I paid off my balance.  I think each card has a different benefit depending on the user needs.  If you PIF every month, I don't see the benefit of the Slate.  I had no problem with the PC, but I had 0 balance, and I had the account for over 10 years.  My APR is still really awful though (27% and won't budge) but I don't keep a balance - I just want the rewards!

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor

Did you carry a balance every month during the 1 year wait to pC to freedom? I'm trying to PC from slate to freedom as well but they told me I had to wait a year for a PC. I paid off my balance transfer and was wondering if I should carry like a small balance on the card till the year expires to show them that I PIF.

Valued Member

All I did was send a secure message telling them I was paying off my slate in a few weeks and thinking about closing my account(which was true).  I told them if I was eligible for a product change, I would consider keeping my account open.  They emailed me back saying they could convert me to a freedom.  Yep, I took the offer Smiley Happy

Amex BCP|Amex Hilton Honors|Amex PRG|Chase Freedom|Chase Marriott Rewards Premier|Chase Sapphire Preferred|Discover it|Nordstrom|USAA Rewards

24 March 2015 myFICO EQ 807
24 March 2015 myFICO TU 797
24 March 2015 myFICO EX 798
Valued Contributor

Freedom is not a down grade if your not using it for BTs. You get points/$ back for spending. None of their cards are really entry level. Chase is very strict on who they give credit too. Slate like others said are only really good if you carry a balance. I think there is a 1% APR difference between the two. Also I have never seen any world or signature slates only on freedom. So maybe that tells you something as well.

In my wallet: AMEX Gold; Freedom $1.5k; CSP $5k; Chase United $5k; Discover $2k
Last HP: 4/30

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.