Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Walmart Store to MC?

tag
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Upgrade Walmart Store to MC?

Searching through the Applications forum, I can't find any upgrades from the Walmart store card to the MC since they converted from Discover.   Has anyone been upgraded directly to the MC from the store card lately?  I wonder if they're still sorting things out at Wally?

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade Walmart Store to MC?

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Searching through the Applications forum, I can't find any upgrades from the Walmart store card to the MC since they converted from Discover.   Has anyone been upgraded directly to the MC from the store card lately?  I wonder if they're still sorting things out at Wally?

I think you have to be invited, unfortunately.

If your credit's gotten a lot better since you got the WM card, then you might just cancel it and reapply in a couple of months.

Message 2 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

If your credit's gotten a lot better since you got the WM card, then you might just cancel it and reapply in a couple of months.

What I'm wondering is if anyone's been offered the upgrade since the switch to MC.   There always seemed to be posts about upgrades to the Discover.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

What I'm wondering is if anyone's been offered the upgrade since the switch to MC.   There always seemed to be posts about upgrades to the Discover.  

I doubt that with the recent payment network switch from Discover to MC would have changed much as far as the upgrade from store to MC.  It's likely their systems would eventually bridge the gap from Discover to the new MC.

Message 4 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

an bit off topic but is it still and new TL when you switch, that alone is reason enough for me not to switch to walmart MC for 1% cashback

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

an bit off topic but is it still and new TL when you switch, that alone is reason enough for me not to switch to walmart MC for 1% cashback

If an upgrade offer is made available and it is accepted, yes it will be a new TL.  The store card will be closed and the upgraded product will be a new account.

Message 6 of 9
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

It seems to be tough to get the upgrade. Some here have said it took them at least a year to get it.  You could try the Sam's Club trick, but it will cost you $45 for a membership to do it.

Some have gone in store to sign up, and were offered the Sam's MC on the spot with a soft pull.  Good luck

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jerry45 wrote:

It seems to be tough to get the upgrade. Some here have said it took them at least a year to get it.  You could try the Sam's Club trick, but it will cost you $45 for a membership to do it.

Some have gone in store to sign up, and were offered the Sam's MC on the spot with a soft pull.  Good luck

Soft pull in store?

Tell me more about this. The wife and I have a Sam's Club plus membership, This would be the next best thing to the Sallie Mae since we don't plan on getting rid of SC any time soon. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

There was a thread on this a few months back, I already have the Wally MC, so I did not do it. I think you have to be a new member signing up, but here is the gist of it.

Go in store and request a member application, right then if they offer you credit at Sam's, it is a soft pull. If a credit line is offered to you it is a soft pull and they only ask for your Driver's Licence to verify. Otherwise a HP if you apply on your own.   Hope this makes sense, maybe research old post here to see for sure.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.