cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from AMEX PRG to Platinum? What About Bonus Points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade from AMEX PRG to Platinum? What About Bonus Points?

I just got my PRG in May and my first statement just posted. I went to the Amex upgrade site and its offering the Platinum charge card. Does this mean I'm eligible to upgrade to the platinum ?? I remember reading that you had to have your card for 12 month's before you could upgrade. Has this since changed ?? Lastly, I haven't completed my 2K spend requirement for the PRG bonus of 50K points. I only need to spend about $200. more to reach it. Will I lose my 50K bonus points if I upgrade, either now before I reach my spend requirement or after I reach it ?? Thanks !!!

(Mod edit--We created a new thread for your topic and updated the subject line, due to the age of the original thread which had your response)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Upgrade from AMEX Delta Gold to Platinum?

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got my PRG in May and my first statement just posted. I went to the Amex upgrade site and its offering the Platinum charge card. Does this mean I'm eligible to upgrade to the platinum ?? I remember reading that you had to have your card for 12 month's before you could upgrade. Has this since changed ?? Lastly, I haven't completed my 2K spend requirement for the PRG bonus of 50K points. I only need to spend about $200. more to reach it. Will I lose my 50K bonus points if I upgrade, either now before I reach my spend requirement or after I reach it ?? Thanks !!!

Just because the button shows up doesn't mean you're elligible. Just means the button showed up. It's essentially like an application to upgrade (no hard pull) but they can say no. 

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Upgrade from AMEX PRG to Platinum? What About Bonus Points?

@Anonymous wrote:

Will I lose my 50K bonus points if I upgrade, either now before I reach my spend requirement or after I reach it ?? Thanks !!!

Call and verify for both of your questions.  If you have the points in your MR account you won't lose them.  However, I don't recommend assuming that the sign on bonus offer would transfer with an upgrade.  Again, call and verify.  It really doesn't matter what we say and you can't use our posts to prove to AmEx that you should have kept those points or that you were eligible to apply for the upgrade.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like was said, you may not necessarily be eligible for an upgrade, but it probably won't be an issue. As for the bonus, I think you'll probably be losing the bonus offer if you upgrade before earning it, so if you can wait until you finish the spending requirement and receive the bonus, that would be the way to go.
Message 4 of 7
jsucool76
Super Contributor

They wont upgrade you before 13 months.
Message 5 of 7
icloud2525
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
They wont upgrade you before 13 months.

Correct. The upgrade button means nothing. Amex will not upgrade a product with a higher annual fee for 13 months. They take the Card Act very seriously. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve $32.5K, Amex BCP $20K, Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Hilton Surpass $13,500, Amex Hilton $16,200, Discover it $16,000, Citi TYP $18,900, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $12,000, Virgin Atlantic World Elite MC $13,100, Merrill+ Visa Sig $10,000, Fidelity Visa Sig $14,000, Barclay Cash Forward $16,500, Wells Fargo Rewards $12,500, Local CU $7000, Barclay Apple Rewards $5500, Chase Freedom $5000,-- EQ FICO 768, EX FICO 777, TU FICO 781
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I wasn't sure I wanted to upgrade anyway but I do like options, thus my questions. I've met the PRG spend requirement and just made the first billing statement payment so I assume the points should show up in a few day's. I'll just hang with the PRG for a year or so. No biggie. Just curious.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.