Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Amex revolver

tag
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

Upgrade to Amex revolver

Hi forum-
Thanks as always for the valuable advice. I became a member of American Express this year which was an awesome achievement and was very happy. I spoke online to a rep and applied and was approved for the Amex green with a score of about 620 (down from about 650 due to a flurry of activity) and I was thrilled to get my foot in the door with Amex for the first time.

Now my question is about January or February of next year (for max backdating and just general timing) I would like to pick up a revolver. I'm interested in either the BCE or TE Costco. With being an Amex member for about 5 months with good usage and perfect history of pif and hopefully getting my score in to the 680-700 range should I have any issue getting one or both of these cards? Any other suggestions for better Amex?
Thanks a lot for the advice and help once again
Gardening spree went on hiatus but I think it paid off. Now back at it!
Building slowly but surely. Thank you to all members of this community for all the invaluable advice.
Latest that I know of: EX- 671, EQ- 653 TU- 648
Amex Green, Barclay Rewards MC, Cap1 Platinum, Cap1 Quicksilver, Credit One(closed!), WalMart, Amazon, DCU Platinum Visa, Jared Credit, Cap1 Spark business cash back, AMEX corporate Gold, Alliant CU Plat Visa, Suncoast FCU Plat Rewards Visa

Goals by end of January: Amex TE Costco, Amex BCE
Can it be done? It wasn't done by end of Jan, but it's still coming
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade to Amex revolver

Apply for what you want. No harm if rejected as existing amex customers dont get inquiry. As for approval, I think you are borderline. My advice is to make sure balance is 0 at time of application
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

+1

Also keep in mind Amex will use your most recent SP. If you have the ability to view your SPs, make sure you app after best SP. Ie low util across all cc's.
Message 3 of 12
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

Thanks for the tips guys. Util won't be a problem; I'll be in the magic 1-9% range and Amex will definitely be pif before I app. Thanks again; anyone else who wants to chime in, feel free.
Building slowly but surely. Thank you to all members of this community for all the invaluable advice.
Amex Green, Barclay Rewards MC, Cap1 Platinum, Cap1 Quicksilver, Credit One(closed!), WalMart, Amazon, DCU Platinum Visa, Jared Credit, Cap1 Spark business cash back, AMEX corporate Gold, Alliant CU Plat Visa, Suncoast FCU Plat Rewards Visa

Message 4 of 12
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

I have an odd question if anyone has any experience. Regarding paying the Amex balance to zero before applying for another card. Do I need to make sure that it's already updated on my reports as being 0 balance on my last soft pull from Amex (which could be quite delayed obviously) or will Amex see during my application process that my balance is zero with them regardless of the CR? Thanks a lot for the help as always

Message 5 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Sunshinebiz wrote:
I have an odd question if anyone has any experience. Regarding paying the Amex balance to zero before applying for another card. Do I need to make sure that it's already updated on my reports as being 0 balance on my last soft pull from Amex (which could be quite delayed obviously) or will Amex see during my application process that my balance is zero with them regardless of the CR? Thanks a lot for the help as always

Amex has a strange system and IMHO wait until they SP so they have the most recent info because it will be based off of that 

As far as payment to $0 that will be reflected in the system if you apply by phone they can see

Remember you can apply anytime 

SP if denied HP if approved 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Still recommend waiting till Jan to maximize backdating.  Real close to Jan already.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Still recommend waiting till Jan to maximize backdating.  Real close to Jan already.

+1 without a doubt wait 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 12
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

Oh I'll be waiting until the end of January most likely for max backdating and because I think that's when I'll have the best terms for approval. Just wanted to get the most info possible so I can plan ahead. Won't apply until backdating is advantageous and terms are best. Even though it is only a soft pull still want to apply at the best possible time. Thanks to everyone for the tips. Let me know if anyone has any more info about the balance reporting aspect.

Message 9 of 12
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Hi, what is backdating?

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.