Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Target Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade to Target Mastercard

CHecked my mail today and saw a Target envelope.  I figured it was just the letter confirming my CLI, but then I noticed there were two.  Turns out one was the CLI confirmation, but the other was notification that my card will be upgraded to the Mastercard version on early August (if i don't decline the offer).

Just curious to see if anyone else has received this offer since I know it's either been Red Credit or Red Debit since they did away with the Visa version.   I know you still can't apply for it, but I don't think I've seen any posts around here mentioning this offer.

It's a no frills upgrade since it's the same benefits as the regular Red Credit card, but it does come with MC benefits.  I already have an MC and a WMC, so not sure that I want a new account listed just for this upgrade.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Upgrade to Target Mastercard

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 12.25.40 PM.pngNeat! I haven't read anything about this. Does the picture look anything like this?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Neat! I haven't read anything about this. Does the picture look anything like this?

That's what mine looks like. It was switched over from a Visa when the chip cards came. 

Message 3 of 14
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Neat! I haven't read anything about this. Does the picture look anything like this?

That's what mine looks like. It was switched over from a Visa when the chip cards came. 

Ah ok thanks, Im assuming others have received this offer as well?
EDIT: Maybe these upgrades explain all the huge increase cardholders have been getting recently.
Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

There wasn't a picture in the upgrade letter but I'm assuming that is what it will look like.

I agree about the possibility that the CLIs and offers are somehow tied
Message 5 of 14
ddemari
Super Contributor

wow that would be amazing if target was upgrading people again! 

Message 6 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

CHecked my mail today and saw a Target envelope.  I figured it was just the letter confirming my CLI, but then I noticed there were two.  Turns out one was the CLI confirmation, but the other was notification that my card will be upgraded to the Mastercard version on early August (if i don't decline the offer).

Just curious to see if anyone else has received this offer since I know it's either been Red Credit or Red Debit since they did away with the Visa version.   I know you still can't apply for it, but I don't think I've seen any posts around here mentioning this offer.

It's a no frills upgrade since it's the same benefits as the regular Red Credit card, but it does come with MC benefits.  I already have an MC and a WMC, so not sure that I want a new account listed just for this upgrade.

That's very interesting news.   Hopefully, they'll do upgrades like how the Nordstrom card does (keeping the history) and not like how Sync does theirs (new TL).  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Target seems to have been busy lately!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

That's very interesting news.   Hopefully, they'll do upgrades like how the Nordstrom card does (keeping the history) and not like how Sync does theirs (new TL).  

I'm combing through the letter now to see if there is any wording that this upgrade will be a new account or will report as a new account.  I don't see anything definitively, but I also don't feel like I'd get a clear answer from customer service either.

It would be nice if it maintained the same history for sure.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I logged in today to pay my bill and not only was the payment due date blank, also the minimum payment due date was blank. I did recieve a statement which was for $36 so I should have an amount due. I called customer service and they said that payment wont be due until July, 24. So im wondering could this mean my card is about to get upgraded or is this just some king of fluke in the system. I do have auto pay enabled but it ussualy will show the balance until the payment has cleared.    

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.