Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Walmart Discover card!

tag
Smarter
Regular Contributor

Upgrade to Walmart Discover card!

In my mailbox today is a letter saying "Congratulations on your upgrade to the Walmart Discover Card".  I thought they didn't do that?  It says I can call if I want to decline it or just do nothing and it should arrive in 6 weeks.  Same APR as my Walmart card--19.87%--yuck, but "up tp" 1% cash back.  I have not read all the details of that yet.  I use my Walmart card alot...I guess I will take the upgrade..??

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgrade to Walmart Discover card!

How long have you had the store card for before the letter?  How much did you put through it each month?

Message 2 of 41
Smarter
Regular Contributor

Got the card in 4/2008.  It has a limit of 1225.00 right now and a balance od 112.00.  I ran about 800.00 through at Christmas and paid it off before the statement hit.  I usually PIF, and probably run about 100-150 through each month--often more at Sams than Walmart.

Message 3 of 41
Smarter
Regular Contributor

I am wondering if accepting this Walmart Discover card will hurt my score at all.  It says that they will close my existing Walmart card and open the new Discover card once I activate it.  The Walmart card is not my oldest, so it shouldn't hurt my AAoA, but will adding a new account hurt?  I have enough credit now on my existing MC's and Visa's...I don't have a Discover, but this does not count as a "real" Discover, right?  The 1% reward only applies if you run over 3000.00 through in a year.  Probabaly won't happen, and I have better rewards with other cards. Does anybody know if the credit limits are generally higher with the Discover?  I have come too far to **bleep** anything up now....

Message 4 of 41
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

they will probably keep the same credit limit you already hold with them. and yes it will probably hurt your score a little because it will be a new account thus lowering your aaoa but you should be able to bounce back in 6 months.

amazon
Message 5 of 41
Smarter
Regular Contributor

Hmmm.  I will have to think about this.  I have until July 5th to turn it down.  I am 2 months away from hitting 10 years on my AAoA, which I don't really know if that is a real milestone or not!  I have not asked for any new credit in a long time--just gardening--and I don't want to mess it up, even for 6 months!

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received the same letter in the mail a couple days ago. This will upgrade my Walmart card to a Discover. It will arrive in six weeks, if i don't decline. I have had my Walmart card since Dec 09. My limit currently is 875.00. I use it about twice a month. I will take the upgrade.

Message 7 of 41
konabill
Regular Contributor

Will Discover give us regular CLI ?    GEMB  has spoiled me .....  Im keeping my Walmart card.   I already have 2 new accounts this year. 

TU 802 EQ 806
*USAA*PENFED*NFCU*AMEX*DISCOVER*CiTi*WALMART*BESTBUY*
Message 8 of 41
cakemomma11

Hi! I'm new here, but been reading the posts for some time. I also got the upgrade offer. I have a Discover card that I just got a week ago. This upgrade wouldn't affect that card would it? I can have more than one Discover card? I don't know if I'm going to take the offer or not.

Message 9 of 41
Smarter
Regular Contributor

I am not sure.  I can't decide if I want to take the Discover or not.  From what I have read on here, it doesn't sound like the CL's are much higher..it seems like the only benefit is the ability to use it anywhere and I guess it would report an a regular credit card and not a "store card"..??  I already have a good mix of both, so I am trying to decide if there is any real benfit to me to accept it.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.