Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to the Amex Hilton Surpass??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upgrade to the Amex Hilton Surpass??

So I applied for the Amex Hilton in March 2016 and was approved for a SCL of $1.4k.  I was a bit disappointed but this was my first AMEX application so I was just glad to have my foot in the door.  I applied for a CLI and my CL is now $2.8k.  I logged into my account today and I see that I have option to upgrade this card to the Hilton Surpass (which is on my cc wishlist).  I qualify for 50k sign-up bonus points if I spend $3k in the first three months of being approved. I really want this card but I see that if I cold app for this card the sign-up bonus is 75k points.   

I am supposed to be gardening so I def do not want to cold app for this card right now.  But is it worth going for the upgrade now? Is it a SP? 

Any helpful insights would be greatly appreciated.  (Uncle B where are you?? Lol)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: Upgrade to the Amex Hilton Surpass??

Did you try 3X CLI with AMEX? If so you maybe at exposure limit...

I would try and cold app for the surpass. There is another offer currently at 100k Hitlon HHonors points with $3k spend.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/personal-card-application/hilton-hhonors-surpass-cre...

Message 2 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

The cold app sounds okay to do, but if you were gardening, be sure that you arw willing to do this, especially if the gardening was going well.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagle2013 wrote:

I would try and cold app for the surpass. There is another offer currently at 100k Hitlon HHonors points with $3k spend.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/personal-card-application/hilton-hhonors-surpass-cre...

Since you are a card holder, if you cold app and are declined it SHOULD be a SP (but always a slight possibility of an HP) so I would follow eagle2013 advice.  You might get a much better bonus, and, if declined, probably no harm done.

The point about the exposure limit is good though, so if you are declined, and you really want the card, maybe do the upgrade then

Message 4 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I was in your situation a few years ago. I got the regular Amex with 50k bonus. Then a few months later I got the Surpass for 100k points, then I upgraded my regular to the Surpass for 30k points and closed the other Surpass after completing the bonus spend. 

I don't care about HPs. They aren't that big of a deal hover around 800 and have 26 inquries. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

the best advice, seeing as how you already got 70k hhonors points in march, would be to upgrade and take the 50.  Then after some time, downgrade to the no AF version, then you will get upgrade offer again, over and over again.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eagle2013 wrote:

I did go for the 3X CLI on my AMEX Hilton but they only gave me 2X the CLI so my CL is now $2.8k.  By the time I saw your post - I had already applied for the upgrade.  Smiley Sad 

I missed out on a great offer. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

I was in your situation a few years ago. I got the regular Amex with 50k bonus. Then a few months later I got the Surpass for 100k points, then I upgraded my regular to the Surpass for 30k points and closed the other Surpass after completing the bonus spend. 

I don't care about HPs. They aren't that big of a deal hover around 800 and have 26 inquries. 

So when you say you "closed the other Surpass"  are you saying you combined the CL into your original Surpass?  Or you just closed the account? 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to give everyone the latest update.  So I was unable to complete the upgrade process online last night. My session timed out and then the offer to upgrade was no longer there when I did log back into my account. I called AMEX and was told by the CSR that the offer was still available and that I qualified for the 75k bonus (instead of the 50k bonus).  I went ahead with the request and received the dreaded 7-10 message.  I was SO disappointed!! 

I checked the status of the application this morning online and it was still "In Progress"  so I was hoping that tthis was a good sign because why would they need more time to deny my application? I didn't want to wait 7-10 days so I called in.  Turns out the CSR I talked to last night did not submit a request upgrade my current card but they submitted an brand new cc applicaiton!! I was SO annoyed!! I specifically said I wanted to upgrade my current card.  Having two cards for the same hotel chain just doesn't make sense.  

Long story short, I was approved for the Hilton Surpass and it is on it's way.  The CSR I spoke to today have me 3k Hilton points as a goodwill effort which was ok I guess.  I was unable to get the card expeditied (which stinks) but oh well.  It's safe to assume that this new application was a HP? Back in the garden I go - I officially have all of the cc that were on my wishlist.  There is nothing else out there that will tempt me to come out.  The goal is to be in the garden until March 2017. 

Wish me luck!! And thank you all for you input and insight.. You guys rock!!!

Message 9 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Goodluck. Generally I'm not an advocate for upgrades but 75k offer to do so is a very solid offer. It may be too late but be sure to screen shot the offer in case they question it. I was once burned by Amex when they didn't stand behind an offer they extended to me. Lesson learned on my part
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.