Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade vs Apply

tag
Necromancer
Regular Contributor

Upgrade vs Apply

I currently have an AMEX Gold Rewards Plus card and see that it is eligible to be upgraded to AMEX Gold Premier. Which would be the better option, upgrade or apply for the new card?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
JamesKnox
Regular Contributor

Re: Upgrade vs Apply

Well if you are eligible for an upgrade....what is making you question if applying is a better option??

If you were eligible for an upgrade from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5s ---- would you rather just go out and buy the iPhone 5s?

Starting Score: (FICO)(August 29, 2013) 502(EQ) 568(EX) 549(TU)
Current Score: (FICO) (January 28, 2017) 712(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)
Goal Score: 720(EQ) 720(EX) 720(TU)

Amex Business Platinum NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred $15,000 | Chase Freedom $9000 | Amex ED $1,000 | BofACash Rewards $3100 | Amazon Store Card $4000
Message 2 of 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe he's asking what are the pros/cons of either.. which is better. Not everyone knows the answer to that.. I know I don't.. I've asked this question multiple times. Hope there is an answer here soon, Necromancer.. thanks for making the thread! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 16
mscsinc
Valued Member

if you're thinking about applying to get the bonus, don't.... you will not be eligible because you already have the regular gold. I wouldn't see the point in paying AF for both cards, when you will only be using the Premier for better rewards.... my $0.02
Starting Score: EQ 735 Current Score: EQ 791 Goal Score: EQ 800+
Message 4 of 16
Necromancer
Regular Contributor

That's what I was wondering, if I would be eligible for the bonus MR points by applying instead of just upgrading. Oh well. Thanks for the replys.

Message 5 of 16
navyox
Regular Contributor

@Necromancer wrote:

That's what I was wondering, if I would be eligible for the bonus MR points by applying instead of just upgrading. Oh well. Thanks for the replys.

You might be able to, but you would have to do some of those clear cookies/use a different browser tricks, and there is no guarantee it would work.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 6 of 16
mscsinc
Valued Member

I talked to their CSR and got it from them... YMMV....
Starting Score: EQ 735 Current Score: EQ 791 Goal Score: EQ 800+
Message 7 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 16
phoenix_one
Contributor

To be sure, call the number on the back of your Card and ask.

That's what I did when I applied for the SPG. I had been approved for a TruEarnings card and was just granted a CLI with that card and I wanted to be sure that I qualify for the sign up bonus.

Did the application over the phone just to make sure I had the bonus.

Starting Score: 660 - 2010
Current Score: Experian 758, Equifax 767, TransUnion 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Upgrades are good however a signup bonus is great too and a upgrade won't get you that.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.