Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

So I finally caved and upgraded my Green card. I am a big fan of baseball, and figured I could probably use the ticket number to score a luxury box seat at the next game in town.

I still find it hard to justify the $150 though, so I was hoping some of you other Gold Rewards Plus card people could help me justify it to myself. I'm not a frequent traveler , so I'm not sure if the double points on partner companies will apply to me much.

Anyone use the ticket number before?
Here we go again...
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

I'd like to help you justify it, but I wasn't able to justify it for myself. Smiley Happy

I went with the Preferred Rewards Gold instead if the Rewards Plus. If you don't travel much and don't have any AUs, I just don't see much benefit in the Plus.... although I may be missing something. The CSR I talked to didn't see much benefit for me either, so she also recommended the regular Gold.

I couldn't go Green, though. Green just doesn't look cool next to my Blue! Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you checked through "Card Rewards and Benefits" under "Explore Rewards and Benefits" when you log in to your account? There are "shopping" and "dining" categories in addition to travel.

Promos do seem to change monthly or every other month. A couple of months ago, I used my Amex Gold to purchase a Subway $25 GC and then received a $10 Amex prepaid card (good only for movies). I also did find a couple of restaurants we frequent for some promos (20% and 10% discounts off GCs for a particular restaurant) and sometimes with free shipping.

Currently, I see 10% off and free shipping from Linens N Things and a 15% off $75 purchase at a Virgin Megastore (in-store coupon).
Message 3 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you checked through "Card Rewards and Benefits" under "Explore Rewards and Benefits" when you log in to your account? There are "shopping" and "dining" categories in addition to travel.

Promos do seem to change monthly or every other month. A couple of months ago, I used my Amex Gold to purchase a Subway $25 GC and then received a $10 Amex prepaid card (good only for movies). I also did find a couple of restaurants we frequent for some promos (20% and 10% discounts off GCs for a particular restaurant) and sometimes with free shipping.

Currently, I see 10% off and free shipping from Linens N Things and a 15% off $75 purchase at a Virgin Megastore (in-store coupon).

Great post! No, I have not seen any of that. I am going to check to see if they have anything for my Green.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

did they do a credit check for the upgrade?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's on my to do list-  Congrats on your upgrade-

I kinda like my Green card- but the AF is LESS (for me) on the Gold- why not-

Message 6 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
did they do a credit check for the upgrade?

No, no credit pull. Amex is pretty good about soft pulls, but I'm not even sure they did one for the upgrade. My EX is at 694, so I think it would be good enough for the Gold on a cold app.

From my point of view, since I am not requesting any more credit, just a simple change of my rewards program basically, I don't think a hard pull would be in order, but that's just my take on it.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 16
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's on my to do list- Congrats on your upgrade-

I kinda like my Green card- but the AF is LESS (for me) on the Gold- why not-

I agree on the AF. That is why I didn't app for it in the first place. I really want to get a luxury box at a Braves game this summer though, and I figure this can help.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was asking cuase i applied for the green today, and the rep told me it was a soft pull

once i am an exsisting member,

Rats i should of applied for that one, gold is such a nice card especialy in my wallet

lol

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 Amex cards-
Delta, Blue cash, Green and Simply Cash-

I have 4 hard inq's on EX - one for each application
and no F/R

My 1 year with AMEX is in June !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohboy wrote:
I was asking cuase i applied for the green today, and the rep told me it was a soft pull

once i am an exsisting member,

Rats i should of applied for that one, gold is such a nice card especialy in my wallet

lol

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.