Reply
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007

Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

So I finally caved and upgraded my Green card. I am a big fan of baseball, and figured I could probably use the ticket number to score a luxury box seat at the next game in town.

I still find it hard to justify the $150 though, so I was hoping some of you other Gold Rewards Plus card people could help me justify it to myself. I'm not a frequent traveler , so I'm not sure if the double points on partner companies will apply to me much.

Anyone use the ticket number before?
Here we go again...
Contributor
LaserBlue
Posts: 88
Registered: ‎04-05-2008

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

I'd like to help you justify it, but I wasn't able to justify it for myself. :smileyhappy:

I went with the Preferred Rewards Gold instead if the Rewards Plus. If you don't travel much and don't have any AUs, I just don't see much benefit in the Plus.... although I may be missing something. The CSR I talked to didn't see much benefit for me either, so she also recommended the regular Gold.

I couldn't go Green, though. Green just doesn't look cool next to my Blue! :smileyvery-happy:
Scores on4/8/10: TU 731 EQ 731
Unapologetic Amex fan
Frequent Contributor
PenguinGeek
Posts: 381
Registered: ‎09-26-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

Have you checked through "Card Rewards and Benefits" under "Explore Rewards and Benefits" when you log in to your account? There are "shopping" and "dining" categories in addition to travel.

Promos do seem to change monthly or every other month. A couple of months ago, I used my Amex Gold to purchase a Subway $25 GC and then received a $10 Amex prepaid card (good only for movies). I also did find a couple of restaurants we frequent for some promos (20% and 10% discounts off GCs for a particular restaurant) and sometimes with free shipping.

Currently, I see 10% off and free shipping from Linens N Things and a 15% off $75 purchase at a Virgin Megastore (in-store coupon).
-------------------------

Hello, my name is, "PenguinGeek," and it's been 9 months since my last cc app and my score is now 34 points higher than when I app'd.
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus



PenguinGeek wrote:
Have you checked through "Card Rewards and Benefits" under "Explore Rewards and Benefits" when you log in to your account? There are "shopping" and "dining" categories in addition to travel.

Promos do seem to change monthly or every other month. A couple of months ago, I used my Amex Gold to purchase a Subway $25 GC and then received a $10 Amex prepaid card (good only for movies). I also did find a couple of restaurants we frequent for some promos (20% and 10% discounts off GCs for a particular restaurant) and sometimes with free shipping.

Currently, I see 10% off and free shipping from Linens N Things and a 15% off $75 purchase at a Virgin Megastore (in-store coupon).




Great post! No, I have not seen any of that. I am going to check to see if they have anything for my Green.
Here we go again...
Regular Contributor
ohboy
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎03-26-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

did they do a credit check for the upgrade?
 
 
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

It's on my to do list-  Congrats on your upgrade-
 
I kinda like my Green card- but the AF is LESS (for me) on the Gold- why not-
 
 
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus



ohboy wrote:
did they do a credit check for the upgrade?





No, no credit pull. Amex is pretty good about soft pulls, but I'm not even sure they did one for the upgrade. My EX is at 694, so I think it would be good enough for the Gold on a cold app.

From my point of view, since I am not requesting any more credit, just a simple change of my rewards program basically, I don't think a hard pull would be in order, but that's just my take on it.
Here we go again...
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus



Timothy wrote:
It's on my to do list- Congrats on your upgrade-


I kinda like my Green card- but the AF is LESS (for me) on the Gold- why not-







I agree on the AF. That is why I didn't app for it in the first place. I really want to get a luxury box at a Braves game this summer though, and I figure this can help.
Here we go again...
Regular Contributor
ohboy
Posts: 174
Registered: ‎03-26-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

I was asking cuase i applied for the green today, and the rep told me it was a soft pull
 
once i am an exsisting member,
 
 
Rats i should of applied for that one, gold is such a nice card especialy in my wallet
 
lol
 
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007

Re: Upgraded my Amex Green to Gold Rewards Plus

I have 4 Amex cards-
Delta, Blue cash, Green and Simply Cash-
 
I have 4 hard inq's on EX - one for each application
and no F/R
 
My 1 year with AMEX is in June !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohboy wrote:
I was asking cuase i applied for the green today, and the rep told me it was a soft pull
 
once i am an exsisting member,
 
 
Rats i should of applied for that one, gold is such a nice card especialy in my wallet
 
lol
 




myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+