cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Amex Blue Cash to Blue Cash Preferred?

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Upgrading Amex Blue Cash to Blue Cash Preferred?

@sltyler1 wrote:
Sorry Kenny you lost me haha.

The regular Blue Cash is a pretty valuable card to most. (with the uncapped 5% cash back on gas, groceries, and drug stores after 6.5k spend in the one year) Before the 6.5k is satisfied it's 1% on those categories and 0.5% on non-categories if I've read it correctly.

Message 11 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sltyler1 wrote:

I think this is the curse of Amex naming.   There are a set of cards with similar names.

1) Blue Cash Everyday.   I suspect this is the one you really have!  3% on groceries up to $6K a year, 2% on gas and some department stores, 1% on everything.  Cash back

2) Blue Cash Preferred.  The one you want.  Above %s go to 6/3/1, $75 AF

3) Blue Cash (aka Old Blue Cash), after $6,500 spend per year, unlimited 5% on gas, groceries and drug stores.  (A card so good that Amex just closed mine and lots of other peoples!)  No AF

4) Everyday: 2 MR per $ spend on groceries up to $6ks, 1MR on everything else, 20% bonus if you do more than 20 transactions per month  AF

5) Everyday Preferred: 3MR per $ on groceries up to $6k, 2MR on gas, 1 MR on everything else, 50% bonus if you do more than 30 transactions per month, AF

So introducing Everyday and Everyday Preferred to mean different things compared to the usage with Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred is just confusing.

Plus there is still the Blue, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred.  Perhaps there are branding opportunities at Amex, can't be worse than the existing team!

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sltyler1 wrote:

I think this is the curse of Amex naming.   There are a set of cards with similar names.

1) Blue Cash Everyday.   I suspect this is the one you really have!  3% on groceries up to $6K a year, 2% on gas and some department stores, 1% on everything.  Cash back

2) Blue Cash Preferred.  The one you want.  Above %s go to 6/3/1, $75 AF

3) Blue Cash (aka Old Blue Cash), after $6,500 spend per year, unlimited 5% on gas, groceries and drug stores.  (A card so good that Amex just closed mine and lots of other peoples!)  No AF

4) Everyday: 2 MR per $ spend on groceries up to $6ks, 1MR on everything else, 20% bonus if you do more than 20 transactions per month  AF

5) Everyday Preferred: 3MR per $ on groceries up to $6k, 2MR on gas, 1 MR on everything else, 50% bonus if you do more than 30 transactions per month, AF

So introducing Everyday and Everyday Preferred to mean different things compared to the usage with Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred is just confusing.

Plus there is still the Blue, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred.  Perhaps there are branding opportunities at Amex, can't be worse than the existing team!

I love all the clear Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.