Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Amx BLUE

tag
Credit_1
Valued Member

Upgrading Amx BLUE

I have question i have Blue regular from American Express for 9 months i want to upgrade to Blue Cash Preferred do they pull your credit report  for the upgrade?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Upgrading Amx BLUE

no credit pull but I don't think you can make changes to accounts until 12 months old with any bank because of new law.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You cannot do a product change from from Blue to BCP for at least 13 months. This is due to the new credit laws and the fact that blue has no AF and BCP carries one.

They will likely not pull hard when you are eligible for the PC. The option to PC will show up internally on their system. You can PC into another no AF card prior to 13 months.

Message 3 of 8
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You cannot do a product change from from Blue to BCP for at least 13 months. This is due to the new credit laws and the fact that blue has no AF and BCP carries one.

They will likely not pull hard when you are eligible for the PC. The option to PC will show up internally on their system. You can PC into another no AF card prior to 13 months.

If that's the case; why have I seen the Upgrade to BCP (from the original BC, opened Dec 2010) for like the last 3 months, when I sign into the AmEx sight? 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the BCE since August. I have the same thing that says to upgrade to BCP. But when I called them, they told me I can't do it yet. Have to wait 13 months.

You can apply for it separately before 13 months, but it will cost you another hard inquiry. I know what you mean though....it is a tease and shouldn't be there if you can't PC it yet. 

Message 5 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't know about their site sometimes...  I get the upgrade to BCP offer too but I already have it!  I tried though and they told me it's 13 months after opening the blue.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
Credit_1
Valued Member

Thank you very much good info 13 months wait i was so close to upgrade today but something inside not yet.Maybe its good idea to wait since i have ZYNC card too and i running avg balance every month $5,000.0Smiley Wink and i want to request CLI too.

Message 7 of 8
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the BCE since August. I have the same thing that says to upgrade to BCP. But when I called them, they told me I can't do it yet. Have to wait 13 months.

You can apply for it separately before 13 months, but it will cost you another hard inquiry. I know what you mean though....it is a tease and shouldn't be there if you can't PC it yet. 

+1

It's even there if I don't sign in (browser cookies). It only shows the upgrade option. 

Meh. Not a big deal, since I'll hit the $6500 mark for the original BC fairly quickly, after it resets in Dec. I've decided to push the BCP upgrade off until Jan 2013.

In the menatime; I'm planning on doubletapping AmEx Costco, and BCE this coming Jan (for an AAOA boost); to bump my profile for the motrgage lenders in the 2nd half of the year. 

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.