Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Walmart Basic Card to DISCOVER

tag
Kris1228
Regular Contributor

Upgrading Walmart Basic Card to DISCOVER

Hey,

I have a Walmart reg store card that i just recieved 3/2008 and would like to eventually upgrade to the Discover card. I was told by Walmart customer service it has to be done in the store and of course with a hard pull which would be Equifax im sure. Just curious if anyone else has successfully done this upgrade, with what scores, how long after getting basic card and credit limit and did you have a BK?

Thanks in advance!!!
FICO's - 3/14/14 TU 795 4/17/14 EQ:805 3/7/14 EX: 801

Baddies all Gone
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: Upgrading Walmart Basic Card to DISCOVER

dont know about upgrade etc.but i just app'd and got a walmart discover only a $750 credit line and i have a bk from 04
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never been told that the regular card will grad to a discover, usually when u apply u apply for the discover card first then go to the store card, that is how they do it! Good luck!
Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

I believe it would be an outright application and not really an upgrade.

I didn't think GEMB was nice enough to upgrade accounts.

However, I have a Sams Club Discover and the CL is $5200, which I got with a TU of 642. So, somehow, it is possible to get a decent CL with them.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
Kris1228
Regular Contributor

Rite! The rep basically said i would have to apply for it in the store and get a new account number and everything. I may wait a year after having the basic card so my score will be hopefully almost 700, hoping for nice limit. My score as of today is 627 from SW alert.. Smiley Very Happy
FICO's - 3/14/14 TU 795 4/17/14 EQ:805 3/7/14 EX: 801

Baddies all Gone
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Sam's Club Discover and didn't initially get approved for the Discover, but got a CL of $600 on Sam's Club Credit.  If i'm hearing right, I can get something cheap and pay it off unless something is at 0% interest for 6 or so months, then a year later hopefully upgrade to the Discover.  I might can afford the Bose radio or something.
Message 6 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I don't know why anyone would want to do this. You will lose a store card for FICO credit mix and I would venture you would get a larger limit directly from a Discover application. Since you have to take an inquiry hit anyway... will you carry the history over from the Walmart store card and not be hit with a new account?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes product upgrade change is possible from Walmart storecard to Discover card. The requirements are you need to have establish at least 6 months of payment history. I'm going to do this sometime in November. Either you can do the upgrade change or apply for just a regular Discover card at Discover website.

The Walmart Discover card are issued by GEMB Money Bank licensed by Discover Financial Services Network.

Message Edited by CreditCard101 on 07-29-2009 03:42 PM
Message 8 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Mix really isn't an issue.  I used to have all the walmart, best buy, target and so ons... they got my score up initially but I closed them out when I started getting CL's over 5K, 10K, and 15K.  The only benefit they have is that they're easier to apply for when you're starting out or rebuilding due to more leniant guidelines for approval and their outrageous APR's.

Just my $0.02

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.