cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upromise: Can I register my reward cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Upromise: Can I register my reward cards?

Okay, I have a variety of reward cards.  Can I register these with Upromise and get Upromise credit while still getting my normal bank/cc rewards?

UPDATE:  Well, I just registered them all and we'll see what happens.

If anybody has any info on this....please share.  I couldn't find anything that mentioned that I could not collect Upromise college savings in addition to normal rewards at the ccc.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-09-2009 05:43 PM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Upromise: Can I register my reward cards?

as far as I know mine worked.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine as well seem to be working.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess this is one of those cases where "assumption" on my part wasn't to my advantage.  For some reason, I always assumed that if you had rewards, you wouldn't be able to participate in Upromise and vice versa.

Anyway, I have registered all of my cards to see how it works out.....if I get "double whammy" from Upromise and the banks reward system GREAT! Smiley Happy

If anyone can share an example where you got your CCC rewards and Upromise savings account credit from the same purchases, I would love to hear about it!  Thanks!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they do from gas purchases. I think the only time you'd have an issue is if you were shopping online. Obviously you wouldn't be able to show through the credit card rewards website and the upromise site at the same time. You'd have to choose one over the other, I'd lean towards the CC sites, the rewards are often better and you can always turn around and dump the cash into the college account anyway.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking more along the lines of those items that are not online, such as gas, grocery, restaraunt, etc.  For example, my Chase Freedom pays 3% on several categories which may also pay something for Upromise.

Also, I have a couple "double" miles cards on all purchases.  In addition, I found that some vendors are Upromise partners but do not participate in "bonus miles" through any of my cards that I can find.

One such place is Equifax.com.  Upromise pays 10% on Score Watch, which I have been using for quite some time.  So, I use my double points card, which is also registered to Upromise which pays 10%.

Just looking for ways to maximize the benefits of plastic Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was not aware of the 10% on scorewatch. Thanks for that tip!

btw, Chase Freedom Plus has really become my go to card. Love it. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anywhere I can get the 3% with Freedom Plus, or Bonus Miles I use them.

Where it is only 1% Freedom, I use my Escape Discover or CapOne Ultra which both get double miles on all purchases without limit. 

Also Discover and CapOne have bonus mile/reward vendor relationships too.  Occassionally I will find that where Chase Freedom may not, one of the other does.

Also, sometimes Discover or CapOne pay much more.  An example:  Old Navy & Gap.  Freedom pays 1 mile per dollar plus 3 bonus miles.  CapOne pays me 2 miles per dollar plus 6 bonus miles and since my wife likes to shop there....I want the rewards and bonus Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-11-2009 04:16 AM
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We sound very similar. I bounce back and forth checking the bonus rewards between my Discover and Chase as well. Why not? Only takes a few minutes!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, this Upromise thing looks interesting.  My parents and my wife's parents are going to register and direct benefits to my daughter too....the ability to recruit others to your kids college fund is very interesting....and we still get our normal rewards Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.