Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upromise should have more attention

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Upromise should have more attention

You can access it quickly and transfer to your normal checking but no more than 6 times a month. Theres no min balance so you could transfer whatever you wanted.

Theres really no downside to it as far as savings accounts go. My regular TD makes 0.05 like I said. I only keep it because it is instantly available if I need the money whereas the Sallie savings would take a few days.
Message 11 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I think the Savingstar card is just as good if not better. And I already have 4 barclay cards. Savingstar is a FNBO card, so SP for CLI if you call and ask for pre-approved CLI, and free Experian FICO bankcard score each month.

Currently Travelocity is 7% for both Upromise.com and Savingstar.com, Orbitz is 6% on Upromise and 9% on Savingstar. You can cash out Savingstar whenever you have at least $5 in cash back. And Savingstar is simpler to use, as opposed to the various rules for Upromise and Sallie Mae high yield account, etc.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I think the Savingstar card is just as good if not better. And I already have 4 barclay cards. Savingstar is a FNBO card, so SP for CLI if you call and ask for pre-approved CLI, and free Experian FICO bankcard score each month.

Currently Travelocity is 7% for both Upromise.com and Savingstar.com, Orbitz is 6% on Upromise and 9% on Savingstar. You can cash out Savingstar whenever you have at least $5 in cash back. And Savingstar is simpler to use, as opposed to the various rules for Upromise and Sallie Mae high yield account, etc.

No argument about the "simpler to use" thing because like I said, this is a bit complex. But people go through PLENTY of effort to maximize their hotel/airline points, too!

You are leaving out the 5% bonus for using the Upromise Mastercard. Orbitz is 6%, plus 5% for the MC = 11%. which beats savingstar. Travelocity same thing, 12% when you count the Upromise MC bonus.

You can cash Upromise with $10 or more. You can request a check if you just want to take the money. To me, it's better to just have it go into the savings - I'd rather deal with electronic transfers than someone mailing me a check. I could then take the money into my checking, so no downside.

At the end of the day, all of the "portals" are a bit of a hassle, but just like couponing, if you want to save, you have to spend the effort.

Message 13 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

No argument about the "simpler to use" thing because like I said, this is a bit complex. But people go through PLENTY of effort to maximize their hotel/airline points, too!

You are leaving out the 5% bonus for using the Upromise Mastercard. Orbitz is 6%, plus 5% for the MC = 11%. which beats savingstar. Travelocity same thing, 12% when you count the Upromise MC bonus.

You can cash Upromise with $10 or more. You can request a check if you just want to take the money. To me, it's better to just have it go into the savings - I'd rather deal with electronic transfers than someone mailing me a check. I could then take the money into my checking, so no downside.

At the end of the day, all of the "portals" are a bit of a hassle, but just like couponing, if you want to save, you have to spend the effort.

No, I left out the 5% when using Upromise card with Upromise.com portal, and left out the 5% when using Savingstar with Savingstar.com portal.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

No, I left out the 5% when using Upromise card with Upromise.com portal, and left out the 5% when using Savingstar with Savingstar.com portal.

Anyway, they are extremely similar. The differences you mentioned are pretty minute ($5 vs $10 minimum, FICO score (EX with savingstar vs TU with barclay), etc. Sometimes the Upromise portal has a higher rate, other times it would be Savingstar. We can't tell the future or what will be better in the long run, as the deals come and go, but suffice it to say they are pretty similar most of the time.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.