cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us Airways Mastercard Platinum phase out.

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Us Airways Mastercard Platinum phase out.

All kinds of phase outs going on, this one has an interesting twist, and has probably already been talked about..... but...

Every year on the aniversary of the my usairways master card, I always call in and see if I can get it bumped up to a world card.

Did so yesterday, and was told no. I would have to re apply., the platinum card no longer exists, and those account numbers were retired.

I did some looking around on the internet, and there seems to be some conflicting information on the status of Barclay after the merger.

Barclay says they will continue to issue American Airline cards up to a point, and in fact a concerted effort is going on right now to get as many new card holders as possible before a certain date. (This was stated in a Barclay PR release)

At that point they can keep what they have, but CITI takes over from there out.

Now CITI is saying there taking the whole thing, so I guess this still has a way to go before it shakes out.

But I did decide to roll the dice as I have not apped in a while and applied for the Barclay's version of the world card,  Approved for 10K on the spot . And a new world MC.

The interesting part was at the end  the guy says, oh and by the way, just go ahead and keep your old card too were not cancelling them just not issuing any more. LOL.

Anyways I hope this does not get moved to the approval forum, as I posted it not for the approval, but for the other information, and curious as to what you guys think about how this will end.

Personally, I think in the end Barclay caves and gives it to CITI.... jut my 2 cents.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Us Airways Mastercard Platinum phase out.

It would have been my dream that the AA card would become available through Barclays because their cards are without the stupid FTF Smiley Happy ... for me Barclays would be the clear winner over Citi and I would be the first to apply and cancel my Citi card but I also know that it is just wishful thinking Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 4
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Barclays will continue issuing US cards until the two FF programs are merged. At that point, they will convert all existing US cards to an AA branded card. They will not issue new account AA cards. The contract with Barclays runs until 2017, at which point AA will need to decide which issuer to stay with.
Message 3 of 4
minimock
Frequent Contributor

@USF813 wrote:
Barclays will continue issuing US cards until the two FF programs are merged. At that point, they will convert all existing US cards to an AA branded card. They will not issue new account AA cards. The contract with Barclays runs until 2017, at which point AA will need to decide which issuer to stay with.

Yes I read that, but I also read some other things, about CITI financing a chunk of AA out of Bankruptcy and so some analysts think CITI will end up with it in the end.

I got a world card out of the research, so Im happy either way Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.