Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage on new account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage on new account

This may possibly be a dumb question or maybe even discussed already, so I apologize in advance. I just got a chase sapphire preferred card with the 50k point deal. I've only had the card for one month, my first statement just closed and Ive already charged up $2600 (purposely to reach the $3k requirement). The limit on the card is $5k. My question is will this hurt my standing by charging so much so soon? I've read stories of chase lowering CL due to high usage. I'm going to pay the entire balance off in full so I'm assuming I won't have a problem. Just thought I'd ask the group.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Usage on new account

Unless it's payments to yourself or gift cards, I'd imagine they'd increase your limit as opposed to lowering it.

Message 2 of 3
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Usage on new account

I'm pretty sure that you will be fine. The Sapphire Preferrred is a Visa Signature which means the minimum CL is $5000. They can't offer anything lower in that format. As long as you pay off your balances on-time, it'll be ok.

I charged $7,000 on my Sapphire Preferred in the first month and they didn't seem to mind at all.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.