Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Balance Transfer to boost CLI - Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Balance Transfer to boost CLI - Capital One

So for some time now I've been trying to get Capital One to increase my credit limit. When I try online, they offer to increase my limit by a whopping $150. I also tried calling the Executive Office, however the response was that I don't use the card enough to be eligible for a credit limit increase.

Primarily I use my Amex and Barclaycard because they both have better rewards and much higher limits. Has anyone tried transferring a balance to a card before asking for a CLI and then gotten a better offer?

I thought about transferring the balance of my Amex to Capital One to see if they'll offer me a CLI this time when I call the executive office.

Any past experience or thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Use Balance Transfer to boost CLI - Capital One

How much to you transact on that card? Cap1 gave me an auto CLI from 2k to 7k and an upgrade from Journey to Quicksilver after I maxed out the card every month and paid in full. 

Only one datapoint but I think all issuers like high spend. 

Message 2 of 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much to you transact on that card? Cap1 gave me an auto CLI from 2k to 7k and an upgrade from Journey to Quicksilver after I maxed out the card every month and paid in full. 

Only one datapoint but I think all issuers like high spend. 

+1

I got my most generous Capital One CLIs after heavy usage (relative to my credit line). 

Doing a balance transfer worked once for me years ago with Capital One, but it would depend on what the fees are if I would do it now.  Personally, I'm not going to pay a BT fee when there's no guarantee that it would result in a CLI.  If there was no transfer fee, I might give it a try, since it wouldn't matter either way (money-wise) if I didn't get the CLI.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Captial One just gave me two new visas (QS and Venture One) plus a $3k CLI on my older card.  This is my 4th card with them and I never had any issues so far with large CLI's.  Having said that, I put ALL my bills and purchases on one card and PIF each month to earn cash back.  I charge about $2K - $3K minimum each month.  I think that they like my high usage and large, sometimes multiple payments each month.  I am carrying a balance on my 0% intro rate card and making multiple payments on it, I'm hoping that by doing it that way when I hit that button at the 6 month mark it will be a big one (fingers crossed history repeats itself).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.