Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Your Target Card or Lose It

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Use Your Target Card or Lose It

Seems reasonable to me to close a department store card without purchases for a year.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

Seems reasonable to me to close a department store card without purchases for a year.

Actually I would think that dept store cards would care less about any constant purchases and instead try to tempt you into the store with offers.  My JCP sat for a year and then I was tempted last summer with a 0% term (think min purchase was $300) and then when I paid that off I got another 0% term for holiday shopping (that gets paid off the 1st).  Wally world is also pretty good about 0% terms to tempt me into debt.  Dillards is contantly offering special sales discounts if you charge the card on in store purchases during special days.  Macy's has never messed with me when I do not make purchases.  Kohl's seems like the most likely candidate to close one of my store cards for lack of use.  They would probably do it without warning as well, at least from what I have heard from card holders when I worked there one holiday season.

Message 12 of 23
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

When I worked at Bloomingdale's, the policy was after three years of no use, the card would be closed.  This probably applies for Macy's as well.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GST2008 wrote:

When I worked at Bloomingdale's, the policy was after three years of no use, the card would be closed.  This probably applies for Macy's as well.

That actually seems reasonable

Message 14 of 23
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GST2008 wrote:

That actually seems reasonable

I thought so too.  Plus, at that point re-applying made people eligable for the 15-20% discount on all purchases.  After three years, how anybody could remember that they even still had the card was a mystery to me.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 15 of 23
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

I think it is reasonable for a store to close the card if not used but I tried to close the account in October 2011 (I keep records of this stuff now) because I wasn't using it.

But when I called in, they talked me into keeping the card but I wanted to mail it back so I don't always have to argue with the analysts.  

I just never got around to it. 

So now it will be closed but they are doing what I wanted 7 months ago.

Message 16 of 23
lithium78
Established Contributor

Yes, it works for grocery purchases as well.  I've also used it at the Pizza Hut Express in my local Target.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to my mother as well, as she had not used her Target card in almost 6 years, and her 800 limit was dropped to 300. She called customer service and they did a review, and increased it back to 700.. go figure.

Message 18 of 23
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Update on this thread:  I did not use the card since Oct 2011 and today i found out it was closed with no notice or anything but it was to be expected.

Message 19 of 23
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Since this thread was bumped I will add my 2 cents.

It is perfectly reasonable for Target or any other store to CLD or close your account for inactivity. Since you are not using the card actively, who is to say your credit risk is the same?

Barclays even has a policy that requires you to use the card at least once every 6 months for face account closure.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.