Use of amex prg MR points?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Use of amex prg MR points?

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the best use of these MR points is to transfer them to an airline, right? if so, I heard 25,000 was good for 1 round trip?

If your RT flight is 650 miles or less each way, you only need 9,000 avios. If it is up to 1151 miles each way, you only need 15,000 avios. Etc, etc. So, 25K MRP can actually get you potentially much more than one RT flight.

I transferred mine to British Airways. Using them for short haul flights on American and Alaska Air. 25K MR = $1,100 for me. Avios award chart below:Avios.JPG

This is good information, one thing to keep in mind is that when you book reward flights with British Airways there are often large tax and fee portions you are required to pay out of pocket. Currently the best workaround I have found is to transfer the MR Points to Avios with British Airways (as other poster said, currently a 40% bonus until 1/31/2015) and find an American Airlines award flight (typically has far lower tax/fees for you to pay). All you do is call British Airways and tell them which flight you found with American Airlines and they will book it with your Avios.

Both the positive and the negative of award travel with British Airways is the basis on trip distance. Sometimes it can be beneficial, but on longer flights it is detrimental to a decent reward trip. As I said before, definitely look at your fees when booking with BA, I looked at a trip from EYW-LHR, 50K or 60K roundtrip but the fees were $741.xx dollars per passenger. Obviously I didn't use my Avios on this one. Same flight dates with AA was 60K AAdvantage Miles and $361.xx in fees...

just for some clarity those are mostly on international flight thru europe. If you are to use avios to fly domestically there are no fuel surcharges since you will be flying either AA or Us air. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the best use of these MR points is to transfer them to an airline, right? if so, I heard 25,000 was good for 1 round trip?

Transfer to BA Avios and use domestically on AA. Redeems are based on mileage tiers!

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your RT flight is 650 miles or less each way, you only need 9,000 avios. If it is up to 1151 miles each way, you only need 15,000 avios. Etc, etc. So, 25K MRP can actually get you potentially much more than one RT flight.

I transferred mine to British Airways. Using them for short haul flights on American and Alaska Air. 25K MR = $1,100 for me. Avios award chart below:Avios.JPG

This is good information, one thing to keep in mind is that when you book reward flights with British Airways there are often large tax and fee portions you are required to pay out of pocket. Currently the best workaround I have found is to transfer the MR Points to Avios with British Airways (as other poster said, currently a 40% bonus until 1/31/2015) and find an American Airlines award flight (typically has far lower tax/fees for you to pay). All you do is call British Airways and tell them which flight you found with American Airlines and they will book it with your Avios.

Both the positive and the negative of award travel with British Airways is the basis on trip distance. Sometimes it can be beneficial, but on longer flights it is detrimental to a decent reward trip. As I said before, definitely look at your fees when booking with BA, I looked at a trip from EYW-LHR, 50K or 60K roundtrip but the fees were $741.xx dollars per passenger. Obviously I didn't use my Avios on this one. Same flight dates with AA was 60K AAdvantage Miles and $361.xx in fees...

just for some clarity those are mostly on international flight thru europe. If you are to use avios to fly domestically there are no fuel surcharges since you will be flying either AA or Us air. 

Mongstradamus, I didn't realize the fees were much lower on domestic flights, I will run some searches and see if this works better. Most of my domestic flights aren't really expensive enough to warrant using miles to book them, but if this holds true it might make more sense. Thanks for the tip!

Message 13 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Mongstradamus, I didn't realize the fees were much lower on domestic flights, I will run some searches and see if this works better. Most of my domestic flights aren't really expensive enough to warrant using miles to book them, but if this holds true it might make more sense. Thanks for the tip!

I believe all domestic flights have almost no fuel surcharges if you fly on delta, ual, aa etc. 

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe all domestic flights have almost no fuel surcharges if you fly on delta, ual, aa etc. 

Gotcha, I almost exclusively fly AA. I don't like to spread my flights through too many carriers or my elite qualifying miles take too long to add up. There are rarely instances where flying AA adds an extra stop and only then I will consider flying Delta, this is rare for my typical destinations. 

Message 15 of 25
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

No domestic fuel surcharges from everything I've researched.

I paid $16 tax/fees for a RT flight to visit family at Christmas on Alaska Air. Plus 9,000 avios. HAYYYY!

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

No domestic fuel surcharges from everything I've researched.

I paid $16 tax/fees for a RT flight to visit family at Christmas on Alaska Air. Plus 9,000 avios. HAYYYY!

What airports or do you know the actual round-trip mileage flown?

Message 17 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha, I almost exclusively fly AA. I don't like to spread my flights through too many carriers or my elite qualifying miles take too long to add up. There are rarely instances where flying AA adds an extra stop and only then I will consider flying Delta, this is rare for my typical destinations. 

I can understand that but i was just trying to point out if you fly domestic carriers especially domestically there are very minimal surcharges. I believe its the same for flying domestic carrier internationally. 

Message 18 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Another interesting use of MR points i just notice is there is an 35% virgin american transfer bonus. I find it quite interesting since Virgin America is usually vote as best domestic airline. I am still trying to decide if i should tranfer to virgin america at 35% or BA at 40 %

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does VA have any partners you can book with or are you stuck with their routes/schedules?

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.