Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used my Chase SW card to buy a car

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Used my Chase SW card to buy a car

I bought a vehicle over the weekend, but because the price was exceptional (about $4k lower than blue book) the dealer wouldn't negotiate on price. I was ok with that since it's a hard to find vehicle in perfect shape where we live (Yukon Denali XL), but I figured it was worth a shot to see if the dealer would allow me to pay with a credit card. At first they said they only allowed people to use up to $5k on their card, but I pushed and said I would buy it on the spot if I could do the whole thing on my card. He paused and said ok, so I was able to put ~$25k on the card and NOT pay any sort of fee. I immediately went online and paid off the full amount before the transaction posted as well, so I doubt I will see any interest or fee on the bank side. I've heard dealers will never let you pay with a card without paying a fee, but I had good luck trying. Keep in mind this was a high volume BMW/Mercedes dealer, so I would imagine they have the ability to absorb a fee like that easier than a smaller operation.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Used my Chase SW card to buy a car

It's all part of the negotiation.  Car dealers don't make money off every sale but for the most part they account for any fees they must pay in their sales prices or some other way (or they go out of business in short order).  Congrats on your success.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome and even better you had the cash to pay it off immediately. I also have a Yukon Denali, enjoy it, they ride so smooth Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Means you didn't negotiate good enough deal if the dealer was willing to take that kinda swipe feeSmiley Happy.  Guessing he would of lowered the price another $500+.   Anyways, congrats on your new car, enjoy it!   Also Chase will like you for that as wellSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had dealers tell me if it means getting the sale and making money even after their swipe fee, I was welcome to use whatever card I wanted for the full amount.

A BMW was willing to let me put an m3 in the 70ks on Amex without issue. I figured the swipe would be around 1500 give or take but the car started I think low 60s so they would have made their money and then some even after the swipe fees.

I couldn't afford the car but it was nice to test drive. I'm finding that the high end dealers let you use whatever you want as long as they make what they want to make on it.
Message 5 of 15
MTSN
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Means you didn't negotiate good enough deal if the dealer was willing to take that kinda swipe feeSmiley Happy.  Guessing he would of lowered the price another $500+.   Anyways, congrats on your new car, enjoy it!   Also Chase will like you for that as wellSmiley Happy

Thanks! And while it may sound like I may not have negotiated enough, I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles in the last 5 years and can definitely spot a good deal. Here in Colorado there are certain vehicles that sell insanely fast for full price like 4Runners and 4 door Jeep Wranglers. This Yukon had been traded in the night before on a new BMW X5, and the listing they had just posted on Autotrader incorrectly called it a base model instead of the Denali which is a massive difference. Even the blue blook printout they had didn't identify it as a Denali which typically sell for significantly more than the base model. I was the first one there to look at it the morning after it was traded, and literally while I was making the deal 2 more families showed up for it and another called in from a city 2 hours north saying he'd buy it at full price. While I agree there are certainly/usually times you can get a better deal, this truck was not one with any room left on it, so getting the benefit of using my credit card was a nice bonus in lieu of getting a big discount (actually I did get them to waive the doc fee which was $499).

Message 6 of 15
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I'm more impressed that you had $25K lying around to immediately pay it off! Geez.....you guys must have some really good jobs lol

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 7 of 15
Beckhsrules
Frequent Contributor

Thats great news. I tried doing the down payment when I got a car last month but they didnt allow me to do so. Enjoy your flight you earned with the purcahse of the car Smiley Happy 

AAoA: 1 yr 3 mo | FICO Scores: EX: 720, TU: 724, EQ: 705 | Inq: EX: 13, EQ: 8, TU: 7 | GARDENING AS OF 3/13/2017
Message 8 of 15
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@MTSN wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Thanks! And while it may sound like I may not have negotiated enough, I've bought and sold over 40 vehicles in the last 5 years and can definitely spot a good deal. Here in Colorado there are certain vehicles that sell insanely fast for full price like 4Runners and 4 door Jeep Wranglers. This Yukon had been traded in the night before on a new BMW X5, and the listing they had just posted on Autotrader incorrectly called it a base model instead of the Denali which is a massive difference. Even the blue blook printout they had didn't identify it as a Denali which typically sell for significantly more than the base model. I was the first one there to look at it the morning after it was traded, and literally while I was making the deal 2 more families showed up for it and another called in from a city 2 hours north saying he'd buy it at full price. While I agree there are certainly/usually times you can get a better deal, this truck was not one with any room left on it, so getting the benefit of using my credit card was a nice bonus in lieu of getting a big discount (actually I did get them to waive the doc fee which was $499).

You took a big gamble threatening to walk if they wouldn't take your credit card..

Congrats

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie question: would you get your rewards if you PIF before the trx posted?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.