Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful Amex info on Multiple Apps

tag
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

Useful Amex info on Multiple Apps

Okay, so the question I was asking today was:

If you are approved for an Amex, and turn around and apply for a second card, does it result in a second HP if also approved?

Here's the deal. Amex has a security system in place. If you do apply multiple times for cards you will be approved for only the first card will be instant. You will be asked to call in and verify your identity for subsequent apps before they process it further. This is for security purposes to protect you from identity theft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a decline.

As to the question of will it result in additional HPs? The answer is no. I was assured by the representative that any other pulls will not result in HPs because they already have your current approved info and do not need to do another.

This info is coming directly from Amex when I called in as requested for my second app.

Also, I have been told by many sources in this forum that if you are declined, it is only a SP. Since I was instantly approved I cannot verify this because I received an HP.

Ta! Smiley Happy

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Useful Amex info on Multiple Apps

Lately YMMV

In most cases 2 apps same day after 1st is approve will result in 1 HP for 2 cards 

I did it 

Edit the rep is wrong we've seen plenty of cases of 2 app 2 HP's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Firehorse wrote:

Okay, so the question I was asking today was:

If you are approved for an Amex, and turn around and apply for a second card, does it result in a second HP if also approved?

Here's the deal. Amex has a security system in place. If you do apply multiple times for cards you will be approved for only the first card will be instant. You will be asked to call in and verify your identity for subsequent apps before they process it further. This is for security purposes to protect you from identity theft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a decline.

As to the question of will it result in additional HPs? The answer is no. I was assured by the representative that any other pulls will not result in HPs because they already have your current approved info and do not need to do another.

This info is coming directly from Amex when I called in as requested for my second app.

Also, I have been told by many sources in this forum that if you are declined, it is only a SP. Since I was instantly approved I cannot verify this because I received an HP.

Ta! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info.  And if declined it is a SP, IF you are logged-in your Amex account at the time of the app.  If you are applying incognito, to get bonuses you wouldn't get as a member and are declined, it's a HP.

Message 3 of 16
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Lately YMMV

In most cases 2 apps same day after 1st is approve will result in 1 HP for 2 cards 

I did it 

Edit the rep is wrong we've seen plenty of cases of 2 app 2 HP's 

Yes, you are correct. I should have added YMMV.  Smiley Wink

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 4 of 16
abyss7

Yep, just happened to me the other day. Applied for Costco and BCP cards on the same day - 2 hard pulls. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Inde wrote:

Yep, just happened to me the other day. Applied for Costco and BCP cards on the same day - 2 hard pulls. 

Were you an Amex member already or were these your first cards?

Message 6 of 16
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

So as it turns out my mileage HAS varied. I called the App Status number and got more deets.

They will not process a second app for at least five days after the first approval. Again, this is for security reasons to prevent fraud and identity theft. This actually makes me happy when I think about it.

However, when they process the second app, they WILL do a second HP.  bash-head.gif

Oh well, lesson learned. YMMV.

Edit: Typo

Message 7 of 16
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

a big YMMV. My cousin just the did the same thing over the weekend for Platinum and Delta Gold. One after the another, both approvals and resulted in 2 HPs on EX.

My suggestion.. Don't try this at home if you are running high on pulls :-)

Edit: He had to call in for Delta

Message 8 of 16
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

When I apped for Amex both my apps were approved instantly.  They were done within minutes of each other.  

Not sure if it made any difference but PRG was my first, followed by BCP a few minutes later.  

No need to call in with only 1 HP for both apps.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

in my case it was a pull for the app which was declined, then another pull and with that i was approved for 2 charge cards.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.