Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful Amex info on Multiple Apps

tag
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

Re: Useful Amex info on Multiple Apps

Well I finally got the results for my second app. I applied for both BCE and CE. While BCE was an instant approval they made me wait five days for CE.

They did a second HP AND Declined me. I don't know the reason. They wouldn't tell me on the phone. Boo! Smiley Mad

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 11 of 16
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Firehorse wrote:

Okay, so the question I was asking today was:

If you are approved for an Amex, and turn around and apply for a second card, does it result in a second HP if also approved?

Here's the deal. Amex has a security system in place. If you do apply multiple times for cards you will be approved for only the first card will be instant. You will be asked to call in and verify your identity for subsequent apps before they process it further. This is for security purposes to protect you from identity theft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a decline.

As to the question of will it result in additional HPs? The answer is no. I was assured by the representative that any other pulls will not result in HPs because they already have your current approved info and do not need to do another.

This info is coming directly from Amex when I called in as requested for my second app.

Also, I have been told by many sources in this forum that if you are declined, it is only a SP. Since I was instantly approved I cannot verify this because I received an HP.

Ta! Smiley Happy

CSR's are rarely the reliable sources we want them to be. A simple search will show your info to be shaky at best. Policy does not always correlate to reality. I'm one of those who had two instant approvals on the same day.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 12 of 16
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@Firehorse wrote:

Okay, so the question I was asking today was:

If you are approved for an Amex, and turn around and apply for a second card, does it result in a second HP if also approved?

Here's the deal. Amex has a security system in place. If you do apply multiple times for cards you will be approved for only the first card will be instant. You will be asked to call in and verify your identity for subsequent apps before they process it further. This is for security purposes to protect you from identity theft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a decline.

As to the question of will it result in additional HPs? The answer is no. I was assured by the representative that any other pulls will not result in HPs because they already have your current approved info and do not need to do another.

This info is coming directly from Amex when I called in as requested for my second app.

Also, I have been told by many sources in this forum that if you are declined, it is only a SP. Since I was instantly approved I cannot verify this because I received an HP.

Ta! Smiley Happy

CSR's are rarely the reliable sources we want them to be. A simple search will show your info to be shaky at best. Policy does not always correlate to reality. I'm one of those who had two instant approvals on the same day.

And it seems CSRs are all you get at Amex. Smiley Happy

Start MyFico: 01/04/2014: TU 572, EX 599, EQ 593, CK: 593, CKV: 596, CS: 626 Garden since 01/09/2015
Current MyFico 10/23/2015: TU 740, EX 784, EQ 739, CK/TU: 768, CK/EX: 782, CS: 785 Q: 702 1.5% UTIL & 6.9 yrs. AAoA, 1 PAID FTB Lien 8/2008

Message 13 of 16
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

The #: of hp could depend on your score as well. A low score or borderline could require two pulls on multiple apps.
Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 14 of 16
Firehorse
Frequent Contributor

The irony is that my score would have been higher on the second pull. (Yes, I know they use internal scoring). My balances are lower since the first hard pull and CLIs are posting. They are a strange brew over there. They made it the third HP in a group this month. Before this month, the prior HP was in 12/2013.

** edit for clarity.

Message 15 of 16
godscountry
Regular Contributor

I apped last week.  Wanted to do the PRG first, but decided to do the Costco first.  Wanted to go in warehouse, was too busy, did app by phone.  Very long app, verification, and approval.  Immediately went to laptop and apped for PRG and got instant approval and they rushed it to me and I got like 2 days later.  1 Pull on EX for both.  I wanted to do Delta but was pretty sure that was gonna result into another pull so I didnt go that route.

Current Scores: EX 652 I EQ 688 I TU 696
Cards appear in order of approval
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.