Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User of Card in wife's name.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

User of Card in wife's name.

Hi, everyone. I have a question about a CC account that shows up in my CR. The card is my wife's and I'm just an authorized user on the account. I f I remove it will it help my score? My score watch says revolving balances are too high. This card has a limit of $9,500 and is $8,000 right now. I have 2 other cards that are 80% usage and 2 that are less than 50% usage. Thanks for the help! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: User of Card in wife's name.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Yes, it will probably help, although since you have two other maxed-out cards (= 80%), it might not make that much of a difference.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Working on paying those down too!Smiley Wink Any other opinions?

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with HTSU that it might help but it's hard to say before the fact. What you can do is remove yourself from this account and see what happens to your score. If the results are not to your iiking you can always be added back on.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800, 10/10-813
TU - 10/10-774
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to ask for opinions. Add up all your debt and all your CLs*. Calculate your % utilization with and without your wife's card and compare. Calculate your average age of accounts for both situations and look for drastic swings.

From your post it sounds a bit like a wash, but calculating should give you a better idea.

*Watch out for signature cards and the likes.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks vet for the response and for your service to the country.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ulan. Will do.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.