cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 12K credit card for a CD (Certificate of Deposit)

tag
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

Using 12K credit card for a CD (Certificate of Deposit)

ok so Discover gave me 12 months no interst on my 17K card acct.  I want to use the cash-over feature (since it is applied as purchase zero percent) APR to open a 12-month 1.20% CD for 12,000.  I want to buy a car a new car in 3 years.  Will this look bad that I carried a balance of 12K for 12 months?  The pay-out amount after 12 months maturity is $144.  I see it as easy free money.  But I'm worried this will look bad on my report.  I have 210K available credit. 

AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Using 12K credit card for a CD (Certificate of Deposit)

I have some bad news, the cashover feature is limited to pulling out $120 per day, so it would take 100 days in your case to get the money for the CD saved up.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 2 of 23
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

Hi fiesta, I have two discover cards so I can get the 12k in 50 days. And I would have until May 20th 2016 until interest rate of 0 elapsed

So it can work out
AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 3 of 23
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Seems like there's an easier way to make $144 in a year..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 23
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I suspect that if you pull Max-cash out of both of your Discover cards for day after day after day, you are going to get some push back from Discover.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FabulousDtheBruin wrote:

ok so Discover gave me 12 months no interst on my 17K card acct.  I want to use the cash-over feature (since it is applied as purchase zero percent) APR to open a 12-month 1.20% CD for 12,000.  I want to buy a car a new car in 3 years.  Will this look bad that I carried a balance of 12K for 12 months?  The pay-out amount after 12 months maturity is $144.  I see it as easy free money.  But I'm worried this will look bad on my report.  I have 210K available credit. 

Why would you go through all that trouble for $144 if you have that much in available credit?There are other cards that can get you that money in a few months by grocery shopping etc..

Message 6 of 23
psm
Contributor

It seems like going over 10% util on your Discover will look bad from a FICO score perspective. Also, I can't imagine Discover will be super happy with seeing you pulling extra cash every day. If I were your lender I would be worried you were in some trouble and in desperate need of cash. 

08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 7 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

ok so Discover gave me 12 months no interst on my 17K card acct.  I want to use the cash-over feature (since it is applied as purchase zero percent) APR to open a 12-month 1.20% CD for 12,000.  I want to buy a car a new car in 3 years.  Will this look bad that I carried a balance of 12K for 12 months?

Do the math.  12K/17K is 71% which is very high.  Be careful leaving it that high for a year.  General advice is do not exceed 30%.  Short term high utilization generally isn't an issue but prolonged high utilization can lead to AA.

Message 8 of 23
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

$144 is definitely not worth having 71% Utilization on a card for 12 months.  I'm sure there are promos out there that offer "free easy money" that will be less damaging to your credit history and relationship with Discover. 

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 9 of 23
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

There are plenty of sign up bonuses higher than the prospective $144. Honestly I wouldn't concider it worth the effort. People do MS for much higher rewards (I don't do this either just seems like a lot of work). 

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.